Next build will not support XP or MS Server 2003

rFactor2 general discussions
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Next build will not support XP or MS Server 2003

Post by SteveC »

Subject says it all, seems the next build is not too far away either as it's already being tested.
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Re: Next build will not support XP or MS Server 2003

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Yep...thats right.

Rouke mentioned this a few days ago (in a PM to Fulvio), our server is MS 2003. Until we can confirm that our server's OS has been changed we will continue with build 798 so when the new build comes please do a separate install & keep build 798.

Cheers,
Bret
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Server host might change platform in relation with Microsoft discontinuing support for XP, but when/how, we don't know yet.
We are awaiting more info on this, fingers crossed but I doubt many server providers would stick with an outdated platform.
Last edited by Rouke on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

So what's the likelihood of the server being updated? Are you guys pushing for it?

Thanks.
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

Bogdan wrote:So what's the likelihood of the server being updated? Are you guys pushing for it?

Thanks.
So I guess my question is, is this really an option not to do this. If I'm understanding this correctly if we don't update the server we won't be able to update the game as it progresses further along.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

We rent server space from Team7, they rent from an Italian provider. my guess is its the provider that needs to be doing the work for us all.
No word back from Fulvio or Vincenzo yet.
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

Hopefully this will work out for us in the end. I feel like I've found my simracing home here at Legends, and I would like to continue racing with you all. rF2 has completely won me over and there is so much depth to it. It's unfortunate that all these bugs/compatibility issues limit the online racing experience. And it's obviously forcing people to move over to iRacing which I have vowed never to touch again after the bogus physics and frustrations I endured several years ago.

Are there other server options available for Legends?
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

We have a unique deal atm, we share costs of the box which is a huge difference financially.
A typical good-enough server will be around a 1,000 per year, which is about that for our current box, if we go lower the service/performance/access starts to suffer.
And right now we got a T7 admin whom is also a Legends member (Fulvio), can't get any better then that :)

Renting another server would prolly double our costs and I don't think we can pull that off with the diminished active userbase we have now.

I'm eager to see what happens with the new build though, how many servers will close down? how many leagues will suffer? How many people are not aware of this yet? could be a shitstorm. We could also see a split in rf2 of new builds vs stuck-builds.
I just wish ISI would do this around December, surely many communities pay their bills once a year?
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Wow, 1000 euros a year that's nuts :shock:

It's a far from an ideal solution, but I still have that Dell 690 workstation I was going to lend Ralph some time ago, and I have a spareroom to put it in, if things are looking rather grim I can always put that up 24/7 in the spare room give you access and leave you to it. As far as residential properties go I would say we do not fare too badly here, I am in centre of a city, but it still a residential property, the pings will be worse than a server in a datacentre. I also have a decent SuperMicro server actually but I really do not want to run that - sounds like a heavily laden cargo 747 trying desperately to get in the air, it's not quiet.... RF2 is not very demanding on CPU or memory, bandwidth is the main thing you need.

Some people keep asking for a linux version of the game, which is crazy as it would take them forever for little gain. The main problem is the graphics system as DirectX dos not exist on Linux. For the server side though, RF2 is written in C++ so it fundamentally cross platform, although it is never straightforward I reckon unlike with the game itself, the server exe alone could be made to run on linux. If they did this hosting options would become plentiful and far cheaper. If this issue does turn out to be a real headache for all, perhaps people should start pushing ISI to make the server exe alone (not the game!) run on linux? I think that would be a very good thing.

What about running just windows 7 on the existing server? I have got a feeling a lot of the cost increase is because of the much higher costs of MS Server 200x server OS, whatever the newer version is after 2003. You probably would not run a companies business server on win7, but a hobby server for a game? Perhaps it could be ok?
Last edited by SteveC on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

I have seen today an ISI test server on linux but running WINE which lets you run windows programs via emulation on linux, will be interesting to see if it works and if there is much performance loss.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

I dunno if the linux option is of interest, but there is a public server up now called 'ISI Linux - PLEASE TEST', it's the Clios at Malaysia. If so perhaps as many of us as possible should go in that server after the race tomorrow, see pings and see if it lags etc etc.
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Dropped support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to make exploitation of state of the art Windows APIs possible.
I wonder if this can also be read that they are officially dropping support for XP and Server2003 so that NEW API's can be developed. That said, I'm not sure it means that the next release won't run a dedicated server on Server2003, at least for a little while yet. Easy enough to test. But the writing's definitely on the wall, Just as it was with Win XP. Server 2003 mainstream support from MS is already over, and I think they're slated to drop all support for it in July of next year anyway [2015]. The guys at Team 7 are aware of this for sure and I'm equally sure they'll be planning to upgrade to Server 2008 [or other] when they can.
Moving to LINUX is a non-option [IMHO] unless ISI comes out to officially support it, which I would be surprised if they do.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Hello gents I was wondering if there is any news on the server situation? I still have my 798 running in parallel with 860, now though there is almost nobody left still racing on 798.

The great sadness of it is that it would have been ideal to use this inter season period to attract new members in advance of the new season.

Have you considered self-hosting? I think it would be far better to self host on 860 than run 798 on a proper server. Last week I did a 60 min race in the Lola T280 at old spa, it was self hosted by a guy in America and every other driver was in europe, it run just fine with about 10 drivers, decent ping, no lag, no problems at all. Unless 30 drivers show up all should be well, pigs will fly before that happens I think :lol: It would be best if a member in europe could self host without the family hammering the internet watching Downton Abbey during the race.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

I dunno man, Alpha had an option for us to test out but he floated off the grid before we could get to that and i'm not keen on pushing him or claiming anything so that's in the freezer I guess.
We have another offer, seems a good dedicated server but personally i'm reluctant to contact the guy, it would be pretty much the same deal as we have now, including paying a percentage for the costs which are about $400 a year or so.
The current state of legends does not bode well for such a move, financially but also the commitment that is involved in renting from a 3rd party.

Its fun to host ourselves and we can do that of course, but recruiting wise it would be the same, a server with 10drivers max aint a league-server so why join in as a new member? Doesn't exactly give a strong message imo. and what do we say to those whom are interested?

Personally i'm not keen on chasing any of the above atm, it would involve current and future commitments (looking for servers and promises of championships) whilst I am not even sure I would want to continue with that. Can't even get myself to fire up rf2 for fun tbh, I've just lost the love for it.

Other admins gonna have to step up and/or we get additional ones to strengthen the team, its all too 'whatever' for my liking. Nothing happening from both the admin side as well as members pushing things so we stalling. have been for quite a while now.
Last edited by Rouke on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

I hear what your saying. There are downsides every way, probably best to go with the least downsides. Self hosting can only be a temporary fix for the 789 problem. At least you can race this way, and have the possibility to get new members then cross the bandwidth bridge when you get to it. You cannot have a practice server up 24/7 self hosting which will kill recruitment.

I know other people running leagues on RF2 use these servers http://www.server4you.net/dedicated-ser ... r/#compare

The guys I know run these servers have the 29 euro per month package, there is another for 19 euro which may scrape by but skimp too much on CPU and you might get start lag from server as CPU load is high at race start only just when you do not want it. always figures the website is on the same server which would be a major task to migrate but having thought about it, it's not is it? Because the website does not go down when the auto server reboot happens. I have not read the details but it seems them servers are on 1 month rolling contracts and you can switch between packages as you please.

I suppose it depends in if you want to make a go of things or not. I wanted to bin RF2 as well at early in the FR35 season after several driver swap problems in endurance races, if your too pissed off with something to play it you also cannot drive well or enjoy it anyway I know the feeling. I thought also you did get the love back in some races recently Rouke, I do not regretting sticking with RF2, it rocks, only if you want to be sim racing though, I hope you find yourself wanting to continue. I do not want to be an admin but I am happy to help out with my time if I can help with anything.

I think time is of the essence, you need a server. I hope you will all continue, I will be glad to help out where possible. You have a good bunch of drivers and that is the hardest thing to get, Bogdan Grant and Ralph are all very fast, Bogdan can give the fastest drivers on RF a run for their money, maybe Grant too if he could only keep it on the track :lol: :lol: :lol: even the drivers at the back of the grid are still pretty decent.