After TWFR35 Championship-rF2-Possibilities

rFactor2 general discussions
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

After TWFR35 Championship-rF2-Possibilities

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Hi All, :)
Picking up on what Bogdan mentioned in another thread:
Bogdan wrote:It's never too early to start thinking about what's next on our plate after this championship. I would love to see weather be part of the equation - that would be an incredible racing experience though I don't if I or my PC is ready for all that comes with that. I'm planning to see what kind of FPS hit I take when I turn on full rain effects.
Coincidentally, I have been doing some testing with the F1 1992 mod ...I understand though that the original download has been removed from the ISI forum due to FOM threatening legal action against the modders? I downloaded all the cars prior to this, I could upload them to the server but I'm not sure if I should or not. I would like to try them at Interlagos though so...your input is required please.

Personally..I would like to carry on with rF2, after the TWFR35 Interlagos race, start doing some online testing with other potential mods (if there are any) and testing TWFR35 with weather (rain) nothing too hectic like thunderstorms and all that, light rain, using the wet weather tyres and as Bogdan says..let's see.

Cheers,
Bret
Last edited by Bret Metcalf on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Re: After TWFR35 Championship-rF2-Possibilities

Post by Rouke »

Have not given it much thought yet although I would love to get back to the 60's cars at some point. Could also be a few fun events or a mini series, I feel there's much to be gained in those cars.
with the new Eve Matra we could even up the challenge and dip our toe's into the F1's, we have not tried them yet.

Also in reaction to one of Dale's pm's, yes its maybe better to have different events as apposed to same-events during a championship, something new every other week. But then we stumble across our current problem again, whom is going to set that up?
We are still lacking admin strength and new events every other week is simply more work (now we just slam on an already tested track/mod and bingo) so we will have to see how that pans out :)
Last edited by Rouke on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Post by Bret Metcalf »

I just tried Essington with TWFR35...with light cloud & rain..impressive
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

Rain is so fun to drive in Bret, you're right, just watching the weather change, track drying, then rain comes back etc... a whole new dimension the race that's for sure!
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

I too thought about the F1'92 mod. I have yet to experience it, but I would have really enjoyed doing a full season surrounded by liveries I grew up admiring.

I would not mind running the 60's F1, but rain in combination with those cars would probably ensure mayhem on track :) If were to run those cars, then I would probably go for full authenticity - manual, clutch, heel/toe. It would be a real challenge, but if you guys are up for it, then so am I.

The only issue that I see with the FR35 and rain tires is that if you set the strategy to refuel after a certain # of laps, and let's say rain hits much earlier than your scheduled pitstop, then it seems that the mod automatically forces the refuel without giving you the option to just take on the rain tires. Maybe I'm mistaken as I've only experimented with dry tires and refueling. Anyway, something to keep in mind.

As always, my preference would be to stick to open wheelers regardless of the mod.

B.

p.s. what about the Marrusia, i.e. modern F1 car? Would that be too much? Setups would take a lot of time to prepare
Last edited by Bogdan on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

How does the rain behave these days? it used to give us dry lines within a few laps and back to pits for slicks again, or just stay out and wait.
Of course that is usually I short or medium races but I've seen quite a few peeps complain about this.

Also not sure what the fps will do for most, might get a bit freaky.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

I found out the hard way on Saturday when I did a race in the URD GT mod at Hockenheim, the start was wet but with blue skies so I started on slicks expecting a dry line pretty soon but it just did not happen! I carried on and on and still no drying line at all, it was a disaster!

Someone said afterwards it may be the recent real road changes, ie if the rubber builds up 15x slower then the water clears 15x slower too. That's not certain, but makes perfect sense to me, either that or its something to do with the track.
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

Haven't done it for a while, I'll try some testing this weekend and see what I can come up with, I remember like you Rouke, dry line would start coming back after a few laps.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

I drove for 25 mins on the slicks like a damn idiot. There was 22 cars on track mostly on wets clearing the water away. I was trying to be clever and it backfired badly, I should have given up on it after a while and come in for wets. After 25 mins (all clear skies) there was just the tiniest start of a drying line right in the middle of the racing line, then it started raining again so finally I come in for wets :daft: Did seem to me about 15x slower water clearing, its the first wet race I have done in b798, in previous builds as you mention it happened much faster.
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

I personally would opt for the 60's era of either F2's or F1's.

Personally I don't feel the weather to be an attractive option if we do use these cars. However I would like to see exactly the format we're running now with the 60's cars...

I still feel we havnt delved into this era enough yet, and coming from the modern single seaters were running now it could prove to be a nice and welcome change. Also it would be nice to use the information to compare interest.

As for modern F1..... Doesn't actually interest me nearly as much as I thought.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Well having only just started to get the hang of it I was kind of hoping to stick with the FR35...

However the mod I really had in mind which I think is truly fantastic, I was not going to suggest as it's a historic and I did not know if you guys were interested in historics, but now it's mentioned several times already, the Matra F1.

The beauty of the Matra, is it's an extension to the ISI Eve F1, so it has all the top quality ISI physics + the 3rd party addition of the V12 engine and V12 sounds, and the sounds are REALLY awesome! Best sounding mod I have ever heard. A league with this mod will be truly spectacular! I think the standard Eve F1 is already one of the best mods in the game, the Matra is really the icing on the cake.

There is the ISI Brabham BT20, also perfectly fine, but I find rather boring in comparison to the F1 EVE (ISI's generic 60's F1/F2/F3 open wheelers), remember the Matra is based on the EVE F1, I would take the Eve/Matra over the BT20 everyday of the week although there is no problem with the mod, its just way less fun.

I have also driven the ASR F1'92 mod, its it also really excellent. A lot of the 3rd party modern F1 mods seem to feature this kind of codemasters superglue style physics where you can fly into a corner at 160mph, keep the gas planted, take so much kerb so hard you should really have broke the suspension, yet the car just zooms around the corner somehow. It can be good fun but not at all realistic.

The F1 '92 mod is not like this thankfully, yet it is still very drivable. And of course it features the Andrea Moda! I heard of the legal issues, but since then people are still hosting races with the mod, including race dept who keep things above board, so I do not think you will have lawyers knocking on Brets door. In the race dept 30 min race last week a lot of engines broke after 25 mins+, perhaps due to driver error, perhaps not, need to test. This mod has enjoyed a wave of popularity and many people have it installed, I am surprised the same has not happened with the Matra.

The only other modern F1 mod I think worthy of consideration is the ISI Marussia.

I tried this new 2014 F1 mod, it was very good visually and the physics were kind of OK, but it just so nuts I think it would be very hard to have a successful race or league with it. I drove it at modern Monza, coming into t1 at top whack, the cars have 8 gears and the stop on a sixpence so u gotta down shift all them gears in 1 second and if you do not get it right then the engine is blown up, its VERY easy to do. Everybody was blowing engines all the time, including me, often within 1 lap! Aside from this, I just think the performance is so extreme the races will be a shambles unless you have a whole grid full of well practiced Bogdans.

There is also the Mak F2 which is also very nice.

So I concur with the suggestions made so far, Matra, Eve historics, ASR F1 92, ISI Marussia as an outsider, we could add the Mak Corp F2 to the list perhaps.

For me, the 2 stand out candidates are the Matra F1 and the ASR F1 '92 mods.

The great thing about this discussion is all the mods suggested this far are all great mods, I always live in fear at this point of the season that the next mod chosen may not be a good one, but there seems little chance of that here which is very reassuring :)
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

hardtohandle wrote:
and I did not know if you guys were interested in historics,

:lol:

You should look at our past championships. They consisted of GP79''s, F167's, F171's and even V8's

We love anything here :rofl:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Ok that's settled then, one of the first Special events (there's always a few weeks, if not longer, between championships) we will test eve/spark/matra/bt20 together and see what they can do in a field.
If we get slower cars, the bt20 I presume, we can still use it for peeps, not everyone is comfourtable with the F1's. or we keep it for a mandatory 2 races. whatever. just to mix it up in a championship.

We could run a mirror championship as well, if we pick the tracks well enough we could run 8 tracks for 2 championships, one week a modern car or still the FR35 and the next week the same track with 60's cars. something in that order.

We would possibly spread it out too much though with members, if half the active members only show up for either championship.....but we'll see. options enough I reckon.
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

I love this idea too Rouke, my fear is the same as yours, hopefully we'll have enough of a commitment for both! I absolutely love the Matra, car feels great, sounds even better. The only negative with that is I'm hoping we can run it on period tracks and not modern tracks, modern tracks just feel wrong when running those cars, lol :tongue:

I would love to give the 92's a good run as one of the choices for the other weekend, I've tried them, run them a few times but certainly not enough to make an educated judgment on them. They sure look the part, I do think it would be a HUGE pull in the community, an excellent way to pull members into Legends and it opens up track choices too.

Another one to test would be the Indy cars but I don't know how popular they are, they are very fun to drive, also, I love the Formula Renault 3.5 2014, still a ton of fun to drive.

The fact that we are even talking about Season 2 in rFactor2 is fricking awesome! :cheers:
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

The Indy's are still wip, lots of stuff that was not implemented as they rushed the mod for release around indy500.

Not so sure if we should run an illegal mod but I see that the 92 guys are going to get creative with it after the letter from the FIA. prolly name/livery changes and then the rest is up to the community.