TWFR35 Championship-Round 6-Hockenhiem

rFactor 2 based League - Trans World Formula Renault 3.5
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Re: TWFR35 Championship-Round 6-Hockenhiem

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Been having a great time building up my pace/testing tyre wear, improving set ups over the last few days. Decided a few days ago that I would not be stopping, did 3 full race practice runs… :lol: my preparation paid off. Qualifying I put in a PB on my last lap, just to pip Grant :checkeredflag: & show that bloody youngster that even at 53 I still have some led in my pencil. :oldgit:

I can’t view replays at the moment on my pc as it crashes so doing this report from memory.

Had a good start considering I was fat with fuel (102 liters), just very conscious of the fact that I did not want to risk getting any damage by contacting anyone.
Received a nudge or so at t3 but no big deal at all. Managed to maintain 4th place I think on the first lap. Kept well clear of Bogdan as he span at the exit of T6.

I did have a bit of a queue of cars behind me but I did not care about holding them up, :partygrin: the only place that I knew they would get past me is in the DRS zone which was fine no problem. Meanwhile, the hard charging Bogdan was making up lost ground behind me, at the time I think he was racing with Ryan, anyways, approaching T2 I took my normal line as I felt safe in doing so, Bogdan (as he explained) thought I was actually opening the door, I got spun around, lost about 9 seconds, but thankfully no damage and I was able to continue. Thanks for your apology Bogdan, as I stated in chat, no problem at all :)

Apart from that spin, my race was going according to plan, taking it easier for the first 12 to 15 laps when entering any of the right hand corners to preserve the front left. It worked just great because by now (with the exception of Bogdan) the peeps in front of me had stopped and I was in 2nd spot, Bogdan was 40 seconds in front according to my hud and I was surprised that I passed him when he pitted, I was about 6 seconds in front. I knew the only place Bogdan would get by me was in the DRS zone, defending on the short straights and the infield section was easy, my car went where I wanted it to go plus my tyres were holding up nicely.

Bogdan got a good run on the back straight, I kept my line but braked a lot later to defend, Bogdan also braked late but he went a little too quick and seemed to carry to much speed to the apex,he ran wide & I went back underneath him (I’ll treasure that moment :cheesy: )…but the next lap Bogdan, as I expected, did get past at the same spot, managed to stay with a couple of seconds to him for a lap or two until I spun exiting the hairpin…from then on I took it rather easy but was still pushing a bit just in case Bogdan had any fuel issues or indeed if he made a mistake at least I would still be in striking distance.

Despite my contact with Bogdan earlier in the race I don’t believe I would have won the race anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening though and that's what counts to me.

Many congrats to Bogdan yet again, I admire your consistent fast pace but most of all your great attitude towards the peeps you race with. i dunno who finished third but congrats to him anyway :zzzzz:
Last edited by Bret Metcalf on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Enjoyed the race yesterday, as ever. Not a spectacular week for me, had a big spin after a few laps and remained intact, down to last. Regained some positions then the same problem as brno! I was just took a moment to look at the timings and the next thing I know I am off the track and running with ultra low wing - zero rear wing in fact. 3 laps down after the rather length repairs. :(

Rouke sent me his set last week, I didn't use it as it was too late in the day to to swap but i used it this week - it was a tonne better than my set for sure so thanks for that Rouke.

Silverstone seems to have been a flash in the pan now, I dunno how but I got running really really good there, although of course I wrecked out lap 1 trying to gas it past Grant on the colds. The 2 events since I have been back down to bottom of the grid.

Essington next, another nice track. Lots of walls at close quarters though gonna have to watch it, looking forward to it see you all next time :byehi:
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

I had a great time too, this track/mod combo I think really showed what rFactor2 is about, at least to me it has been the best example of how good it is so far this season. For me, several times throughout the race things came up that showed just how good rFactor2 is, for instance early in the race I got way to close to the car in front of me in the infield section and came to the corner and I had no front downforce, the car wouldn’t turn, the air had just washed away. Another example is the tires are very sensitive to temperatures and it is very evident when trying to push the car, also for the tires as the race progresses, the braking zones get longer, here I am thinking ok so I’m burning off the fuel I should be able push deeper into the corner but not so much and if you get offline into the marbles you will certainly overrun your apex. I love how realistic conditions can change with your car, forcing you to think the entire race and not just about hitting you lines and marker but how the car is behaving at that point in the race! Just think if we can ever get the weather factor rolling!!!!

On to the race! What a fun race for me, made some silly mistakes early, the previously mentioned infield section being one of them and then just several over driving episodes for me costing precious time and track position. But I love the track and car combo here, it’s a very technical, challenging circuit.

Bret, great drive bud, I ended up on a similar tire strategy as you, not by design though, when I went off early in the infield section I knock my front wing off and bent my right front suspension a little. So I ended up pitting early but the tires did hold up nicely, actually my race got better as I was trying to be as smooth as possible and not use them up. Something to think about! Hmmmm. :checkeredflag:

Congrats Bogdan for the win and to podium!
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Grant Riddall wrote:viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8298&start=0
Just a general idea of just how messy it got:
Ahh the memories, I actually re-read the whole thing :clown:
Its one of the things you get in crowded leagues so in that respect we are much better of now.... :? :cheesy:

I felt the love for this one. Still not up to pace (at least within 1 sec of fastest times or less) but I felt stable and racey.
Start was good enough and lucked out here and there to find myself in 3rd place all of a sudden and then 1st loool. I was like how did I end up in here?
But pace felt good and I was able to keep at it for a while until I spun off a curb I think despite my high rideheight, lost front wing and limped back to the pits.

Endless pitstop and back of the grid but I still felt good about it, my goal is to have fun and the cars in front looked like I could get closer to.
Ultimately my main goal was Alex, he was quite far off but I did get closer and closer (including his pitstop?) and I saw there where enough laps left to at least challenge him. I guess he noticed this as well and upped his pace and we where on a string for a while until I messed up again somewhere, my brain already deleted it I think.

Good scrap with Ray before and really sad I lost 1st because Grant was getting closer and I was looking forward meeting him again on track (and holding him off)

Epic pace Bret, that was quite the surprise for me and shows I still have a long way to go as I consider us relatively equal in overall pace.

And well done Bogdan, another win from the back, its one of those seasons where you just can't go wrong. or at least I hope its just a temporarily boost and not something that is quite normal for you :thumbsup:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

:D
Rouke wrote:
Grant Riddall wrote:viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8298&start=0
Just a general idea of just how messy it got:
Ahh the memories, I actually re-read the whole thing :clown:
Its one of the things you get in crowded leagues so in that respect we are much better of now.... :? :cheesy:
Same, i totally re-read the whole thing
Those where the good 'ol' days of rivalry :kisswink:

My race was pretty epic in different ways.
I admittedly started practising about 15 minutes before the server was due to come online. And for me this track just clicked and i found some reasonable pace.
Qualifying was a blast. I put in a decent time for me and went back to garage, started following Brets last lap and noticed a stonking 1st sector..... Okay Bret what ever... then another blistering second sector.... Bret slow the f**k down..... and then followed him over the line to beat me by a tenth... what a ba......

The start was not so good for me. Had good traction to pull up beside Bret but due to the nature of turn 1 i could not make anything of it and went wide on the exit which allowed Rouke to sneak past. I regained 4th with a tow down the back straight into the hairpin and then next lap at T2 got Bret back with a middle finger waving hysterically at my monitor...
Rouke followed suit.

Next lap Rouke over took me and thus began a love story of hate, betrayal and envy for 1st place. Back and forth, and back and forth we went over taking each other... until i made an error on the last turn that allowed him to gain a 6 second gap that he maintained for quite some time.......... UNTIL....dun dun dun...... he spun and lost a front wing :lol: :lol: :lol: I laughed so hard it was unreal.

Pit stop came and went. Ryan now closing in on me and for a few laps i held him behind, we eventually made contact on the last turn when i had a major slide going on. Not sure what happened but next thing i know i was tagged and facing the wrong way, I put it down to a racing incident. So i continued and eventually, some laps later, i went off on the fast right hander in the beggingin of S3, the force-feedback was so strong i pressed Neutrul on accident. This is when the shit majorly hit the fan.... My neutrul button then jammed.... Everytime i put it in 1st, 2nd or what ever gear it would instantly go to Neutrul.. So 40 seconds pass and my Dad overtakes...

6 seconds later and punching the living shit out of my wheel it pops back out and away i go hunting down my Dad like mad man, It was made easy thou as he made a mistake on the penultimate lap to gift me 3rd :lol: Unlucky..............much........

Was a great race and i thoroughly enjoed it after missing nearly 3 weeks out.

Bye bye :byehi:
Last edited by Grant Riddall on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Justin Bright
Novice

Post by Justin Bright »

Absolutely gutted with my performance yesterday. After last weekend, I knew I was going to struggle and jumped in early on Sunday to lay down plenty of laps before the main event. Bret was kind enough to share his setup and some advice on strategy, which was very much appreciated, thankyou! :thumbsup:

So armed with a great set and Bret's words of wisdom I hit the track and made fantastic (for me) progress with my laptimes. From 1'28.9xx PB in race trim all the way down into the low 26's and carrying more fuel! For the first time, I actually felt as though I had got a handle on this ruddy Renault (yes, I was completely ignoring the fact I was still miles off the pace of the sharp end of the field :lol: ). My confidence grew throughout the afternoon and I was really looking forward to the main race.

Finally it was time to qually, and I managed to stick my fastest lap of the round in, by quite some margin, placing me smack in the middle of the field. Things started going progressively downhill after qualifying for me. First off, was a very shakey start, where I lost several spots going into T1. "No biggy" I thought, "I'll just stick to my (Bret's) strategy and try and pick up a few easy places later on". At this point I'd like to apologise, as I think my internet connection, may have had a bit of a wobbly moment, for the first few laps as I was seeing everyone elses cars warping about and disappearing off into the grandstands, to then reappear, as if by magic, right in front of me! So I'm guessing that my car probably looked the same to others. :oops: Eventually internet and me calmed down and I settled into a steady rhythm, trying to go easy on my tyres as much as possible and was just intending on sticking to that steady pace to the end... that was until I managed to practically beach my car on the curb exiting T1, the car got loose and I spun into the wall, hard.

I was so disappointed with myself I just quit the race. Sorry guys, I should have stuck it out and limped it round to the pits to get the damage fixed, but I was really disheartened and figured that I would spend the remainder of the race on my own, apart from getting out of the way of the leaders. :( That won't happen again gents, sorry, nobody likes a quitter, especially not so early on in the race and I was really annoyed with myself afterwards for doing so.

Glad to see you gents had a good race in the end and well done to Bogdan again (can someone please sneak up on him and let his tyres down, after the parade lap, for the next round please? :upsidedown: ). Big thanks to Bret for sharing his wonderful set and of course big thanks to all you guys for putting this event on every week.

Essignton next, eek! This track is another nemesis for me, so expect the unexpected! :banana: :halm: :reindeer: :twisted:

See you all there.

Cheers
Justin
Last edited by Justin Bright on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpha-bravo
Rookie

Post by alpha-bravo »

The good thing is my constancy which was my biggest enemy in the past is now ok.
(Big thanks to Rouke for sharing a setup with me :) ! )
The bad thing is I'm still 3-4 seconds from the pace away ^^.
My strategy for this race was to finish without a pitstop so I loaded up full fuel.
All in all it was a good race with much immersion and fun only the last 4 turns per lap was problematic because of some stuttering (with 60 fps ! Anyone else noticed this?).
There was some nice battles with Dale and I think Rouke hope in future this will be more :cheers: .
I had still problems to manage the attention to the mirrors and tire wear and the turns in front of me at the same time :roll: Hope someday I can eliminate the ATM so important attention to the mirrors :lol:

I asked in the chat before the race if a pitstop is mandatory and as I understand it was not because of this my strategy was to finish without a pitstop. Hope this was ok?

The good thing is I've learned many new things about the car and his behaviour in a race setup.
Looking forward to the next race.

greets Alex
Ray Riddall
Novice

Post by Ray Riddall »

Had a great time to guys but rather lonely. I only over took one car under my own steam, was only fighting guys who were quicker than me that had spun. Need to up my pace to race the top half of the field. Essington should see closer times I hope.

Thanks Ray
Image Image Image
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Thanks to all who made comments about my drive in this one..It's only because I was fortunate enough to put in a massive amount of time during the practice sessions though. This is what I find so rewarding now with rF2, understanding & feeling the real road/evolving track conditions can really work for you if you get everything right...like with my qually run for example...right towards the end of qually I managed to start the lap when the track (bearing in mind for my skill level :lol: ) was at its optimum..got the sectors (and the best grip) just right. Having the time to practice race set set up, seeing the tyre wear rate, determining what lap time/race pace I had to do to make the tyres last...comparing that to making or not making a stop etc...complete immersion for me.

Regards,
Bret
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

Bret Metcalf wrote:Thanks to all who made comments about my drive in this one..It's only because I was fortunate enough to put in a massive amount of time during the practice sessions though. This is what I find so rewarding now with rF2, understanding & feeling the real road/evolving track conditions can really work for you if you get everything right...like with my qually run for example...right towards the end of qually I managed to start the lap when the track (bearing in mind for my skill level :lol: ) was at its optimum..got the sectors (and the best grip) just right. Having the time to practice race set set up, seeing the tyre wear rate, determining what lap time/race pace I had to do to make the tyres last...comparing that to making or not making a stop etc...complete immersion for me.

Regards,
Bret
Bret - I completely agree. Since 2008 I've been dreaming of the moment when simracing can fully replace my desire to be on a real world track. My track days have been over for a long time due to high cost and lack of time and required dedication. I've tried so many sims looking for that full immersion and rF2 has finally provided what I've been craving all along. For me all the subtleties make rF2 an amazing racing environment.

I'm thrilled to see you get such joy out of a well deserved drive. Congrats on an impressive display last weekend.

B.
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

Bogdan wrote:
Bret Metcalf wrote:Thanks to all who made comments about my drive in this one..It's only because I was fortunate enough to put in a massive amount of time during the practice sessions though. This is what I find so rewarding now with rF2, understanding & feeling the real road/evolving track conditions can really work for you if you get everything right...like with my qually run for example...right towards the end of qually I managed to start the lap when the track (bearing in mind for my skill level :lol: ) was at its optimum..got the sectors (and the best grip) just right. Having the time to practice race set set up, seeing the tyre wear rate, determining what lap time/race pace I had to do to make the tyres last...comparing that to making or not making a stop etc...complete immersion for me.

Regards,
Bret
Bret - I completely agree. Since 2008 I've been dreaming of the moment when simracing can fully replace my desire to be on a real world track. My track days have been over for a long time due to high cost and lack of time and required dedication. I've tried so many sims looking for that full immersion and rF2 has finally provided what I've been craving all along. For me all the subtleties make rF2 an amazing racing environment.

I'm thrilled to see you get such joy out of a well deserved drive. Congrats on an impressive display last weekend.

B.

I completely agree with these comments. This is not a lazy mans sim where you think you can just show and get to the top, talent will move you up but you won't get to the top without putting the time in. It's exactly what Bret & Bogdan are talking about, the subtle little things of the sim is what make it great! I mentioned in my post too that I thought this track & mod combo really brought forward what rFactor 2 is so good at. Bret nailed it in the way he explains it, really an awesome drive Bret!
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Will try to get back a bit earlier tonight, about 830pm uk, perhaps some of you will still be in the server I am not sure.