New member.

Introduce Yourself or join the introduction by Us
Wim Navigator
Rookie

New member.

Post by Wim Navigator »

Hi guys (and girls?)

After the F2 race last week (in which I had good fun) I decided to take a look here. Also there was talk in the ISI forum you guys might start a league with these cars, so here I am :)

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Wim "Navigator", I live in Holland near Amsterdam, been racing for almost 20 years now and have a lovely wife and children, 2 girls (10 and 12).
I am 42 years old and take racing (sometimes to) seriously; when something nasty happens, I feel bad. Example; in a league I once joined, there were always about 3 guys in front of me........I qualified 4th, had a good start, two guys I just passed touched and went off; the race was restarted. At that restart, I got bumped of in a nasty way and 3 cars found the guardrail; there was no restart.
I was "not amused" but didn't want to mess up the race for others by writing in the box, so I left and was somewhat angry.
So......that's how serious I take it.

My vision on mistakes; it can happen......I try to drive clean, always. I defend, but there is a limit. That's not to say I never bump someone off; that does happen sometimes. Not much luckily :)

Now I have to confess a problem; I read here, you have to drive with your own name.
You can imagine "Navigator" is not my surname. That is because my employer forbids me to use my real name online (long story but believe me, in the line of work I do, it's better not to do so).
Now I could have made up a bogus name easily; who would know, right?
However; I don't lie, that's not me. At the end of the day; is the name you race with important or the name you are know by (online) more important? I am known by (Wim) "Navigator" for years now, on the ISI forum for instance.
I just throw it out in the open here; I really would like to join races here, but I can't use my real name. So, please let me know; could there be an exception or do I have to leave?

This looks like a real nice league and I hope to race you guys; I love the modern F2, got my own skin, so; I'm all set ;)
DaleB
International

Re: New member.

Post by DaleB »

Welcome Navigator, glad to have, yes sounds more and more like this is going to happen!
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Welcome to Legends Wi...Navigator! :cheers:

The name thing, we will get back on that but i'm pretty sure we are not going to cut someone off because of a nickname.
I have the same thing, i'm Denstjiro wherever I go online, only at Legends I use my real name.

As for your example, I think you came to the right place in that respect. Safety is one of our focus points in this league, yes stuff happens, it always does, but we try to go into events with a gentleman-esk mind-set, give room, show respect, know the rules, etc.
And your example is exactly why we do not restart (official) races, every time you restart someone else gets hurt, so better don't restart at all and have that in the back of drivers minds when they go for T1 :asiangrin:

We are running a rf1 championship atm and for rf2 the Special Events forum is where its at:
viewforum.php?f=8

Feel free to add your thoughts and whatnot (atm the Portugal and Silverstone threads), currently we are experimenting on which mods, server settings etc because for rf2 nothing is a given as you might be aware of :upsidedown:

Have fun in Legends :)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

:welcome:

I think the important thing is that the name you use to race with us looks like a real name and you are happy to be known by that within the league. It's all about the suspension of disbelief. If we are racing against John Smith, Jane Johnson or similar then it looks like a real race. But if it's against "Loozer", "Dawg69" or whatever then there's no getting away from it being a game. In addition we think people are more likely to drive respectfully if it is a race against what looks like real people.

We do have at least one member that we know of who uses a completely fictitious name. He has good reasons to do so and we respect that. There's no reason why you couldn't do the same. As such, I wouldn't have thought it a problem if you were to run our official races as "Wim Navigator".
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Nav Igator :cheesy:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Wim Navigator
Rookie

Post by Wim Navigator »

Thanks guys.
I look forward to see you all on track!
I like clean racing and I saw a lot of respect the last event at Silverstone even though there might have been some not members (like me btw) driving there. You can't always be without accidents, but I saw a lot of people doing their utmost trying to avoid one another.
That's my style too (though as said; it is possible it might go wrong once in a while) so I think I feel "at home" here.
Now if you all would drive just behind me, that would be even better :lol: :lol:

Might the name thing become a problem, just let me know.
Leo
Super

Post by Leo »

What Rik says. The other reason was that we wanted to keep out the game kids. Not being anonymous keeps some people from misbehaving, that's why we insisted on using real names.
LIFE IS RACING, THE REST IS WAITING