Race Rig ideas?

Hardware, Software, Internet, Email, Security, OS, Simulations, Etc.
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Race Rig ideas?

Post by Rick Stratton »

Winding down on the home fix-up projects, even the wife looked at me last night and said "you need to start playing with your race pals again". :square:

In the process of house repairing and a heavy dose of household "feng shui", my old [REALLY old] race rig furniture made it's way to the trash heap. :nodance: It had served me well but was getting wobbly and... okay, it looked nasty. Necessity being the mother of invention, I've got an opportunity to start from scratch. It's been a long while, I know we had a thread at one time for folks to show off their rigs but it's been many years since it's been updated.

Just fishing for ideas right now, the PC is set to go, monitors, G25 wheel and pedals, just need the right setup to bolt them all too. Not really interested in buying anything off the shelf, was thinking more of building something myself.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Re: Race Rig ideas?

Post by Rouke »

weld a frame, get a sports-seat from a scrapyard, a bit of paint, job done :)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Found a design I like, wasn't too keen on it at first but the more I read in the designer's thread and saw the flexibility in the design, how it has evolved and improved, I've decided to give it a go.

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/ ... 9/?p=35966

Not to mention that it can be built with basic tools [I do not own a welder!] and the materials cost are amazingly inexpensive.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Rick I am in the same boat, just about to build a new computer and hopefully build a cockpit that suits flying and racing, was thinking more wood than plumbing plastics though, I have to be honest, that looks wrong ;-)

been looking at this for a while :)

http://cnadeau.webs.com/simpitasitsitstoday.htm
Last edited by MarkF on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Mark
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

A bit intense! :shock:
Were I still into flight sims that would definitely have me drooling!
As it is, I took the plunge and started on the design I posted. remarkably sturdy and I havent glued anything yet. looks promising.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Rig glued, painted and assembled. So far very impressed. VERY solid feel, no wiggles/shakes/squeaks...nothing.
When I went hunting for a seat the wife wanted to come along, gotta love a woman who likes going to a junkyard! :halm: Glad she did, she spotted a Volvo 940[?] wagon with a spotless black leather interior - plucked the drivers seat with rails for just $30, very comfortable and looks sweet too. :love:

Gonna work on the shifter location next. Right now it's in the typical desktop-next-to-the-wheel deal, plan is to move it into a more 'sedan-ish' location.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Great job! (especially taking the wife to a scrapyard, much better and cheaper then the mall, I think you are on to something here lol)

Btw, make sure the plate or whatever it is that the pedals get mounted on is pretty strong, too many peeps tried simple wooden plates and allot of then just broke through it at one point or another.

I'm hoping you will post some pics later on Rick?
Last edited by Rouke on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

photo6.JPG
photo7.JPG
Big silver Dell belongs to Carrie, mine is tucked inside the rig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Looks very good Rick, tidy too...
Regards

Mark
Leo
Super

Post by Leo »

Very cool, Rick.
Just wondering if the PVC will hold up where the seat is mounted.
LIFE IS RACING, THE REST IS WAITING
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Leo wrote:Very cool, Rick.
Just wondering if the PVC will hold up where the seat is mounted.
Time will tell. But I will say the 2" PVC pipe is amazingly tough, I don't anticipate any problems. One thing I varied from the 'standard' design was to keep the seat section and the table section seperate [unglued]. The base section simply slides into the table section and the two diagonal pipes you see in the photos tie the two together very solidly. Just a few raps with a rubber mallet squares everything up, and conversly a few raps of the mallet can have the unit come back apart if I need to move the rig. So if the PVC under the seat ever does show signs of fatigue I can simply rebuild just that section instead of the whole rig.

The designer has taken this basic frame design and now has it configured at a floating 'motion' simulator. Pretty amazing, but it speaks volumes to the structual integrity of his original design.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Like it allot Rick , great simplicity and functionality and you even got space for an ashtray in the seat so it seems. or is that the ashtray?

Anyways, you know what that means, you are now obligated to start racing with us again, no more excuses, we have scientific proof of the evidence.

Good job Bret! it was a cunning plan to contact his wife and ask her to get Rick to go race again.
1 down, 450 more to go....

:upsidedown:
Last edited by Rouke on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Rouke wrote:Like it allot Rick , great simplicity and functionality and you even got space for an ashtray in the seat so it seems. or is that the ashtray?
Not an ashtray, just a little cubby built in to the seat frame. Coin holder perhaps?

Next up will be moving the shifter down from the table onto the diagonal bar. I've been thinking that I might want to see if I can find a car center console that I can meld in so I will have a cup holder or even hand brake. [no smoking in the house - boss's rules]. :love:

BTW - Forgot to mention and give 'kudos' to my lovely wide Carrie for both the inspiration to get this project completed but also the help along the way.
Last edited by Rick Stratton on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

Rick Stratton wrote:no smoking in the house - boss's rules
A very good rule ;-). Smoke smell is hard to get completely out of your house and furniture... thinking re-sale value ;-)
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps
Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

Very cool rig btw!

Those pics on ISR.tv aren't showing up for me. Do you have to register on their forum?
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps