iRacing's current system?

iRacing general discussions
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

iRacing's current system?

Post by Rouke »

Hey chaps,

since i'm not a member anymore, could you tell me what the current systems is like?

Not for racing but of course for championships, how to run them, are there separate leaderboards for a league-championship, can you edit/update them on their system, are you able to...I dunno, extract points for penalties, add/move info, etc. etc.

Just a general idea of what they offer and what an iracing admin is able to do within their system.

If we are going for a new iracing section then its good to know the possibilities, and also for us good to know to what extend we should get involved to help you out.

Thx!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Re: iRacing's current system?

Post by Rik Walker »

I've no first hand experience, but this is the video they put out when the introduced the league functionality

Looking at the member site there are over 500 registered leagues (~230 with > 30 members) although it's hard to find a league with lots of members that really uses the in-built league functionality. Quite possibly this is because successful leagues have their own website anyway. If we were to have an iR league then I would expect it best to use the iR functionality (and keep it up to date!) more as a recruiting tool than anything else with the bulk of the stuff on our own website where it would be visible to all.
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Thanks for posting that link Rik, very very interesting I am sure all of us here will agree even if not yet into iRacing. Indeed I am well out of touch as did not know about those league enhancements that seemed to come in last year.

Wonderful stuff and show how easy it would be to admin an iRacing Legends League series. Could be really simple if carefully set up and very little admin intervention required, just leave it to the iRacing auto policing system with much set according to our own dialled in league series parameters. Okay sometimes maybe unfair penalties but this would be still an even playing field and like SR points it does in the end even out for all. If decided we would not even need a stewards section for this series, and thus keep it with a really low overhead admin requirement. In other words all race results are policed and score entirely by the set up iRacing Leagues system, any warts included. Obviously we woudl need to set up our required parameters very carefully and with experience these could be changed with each new season of course.

I personally would love to see us setting up such a series for our normal Sunday evenings on alternate weeks to alternate with rF2 (or rF1 as folk want) and club type no points practice meetings at off peak times on alternate Sundays too as mentioned earlier. What we must not do is to run two such series rF and iR at the same time as that really wil split our membership and dilute each series of course.

This shows how iRacing, although you have to pay a subscription for it (really very small money considering what you get, especially if you use their generous promotions too), is well worth the small outlay. As I said heck I may even blow the cobwebs off of my wheel for an iRacing series such as we coudl set up easily, but only for me if it was not with too difficult a car or tracks :roll: :oldgit: .
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

Regarding league size - don't assume by any means there are 230 with 30 regular drivers.. a LOT of them will have been created, invites spammed out and either ultimately abandoned or racing but with much smaller fields.

There is, for example, a World Cup 'League' used purely as a future option and has comfortably more than 30 members, but zero races to its name.

As for the investment, Ray, it's definitely NOT small. The outlay, even with discounts, is not far of £10 per car and track - given the numbers of both we are talking £500+ to get access to everything.
Last edited by Kat on Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Kat many of us already have a load of cars and tracks and the idea with Legends is we as before try to minimise the car and track purchase requirements. In fact we used mainly the cars supplied with the basic iRacing pack for our firs season if I remember rightly. Also remember their discount package too.

It is down to us to keep the racing good but with of course a paramount requirement of a minimal investment for our members that will still keep that good racing possible. So as before we need to ask what cars and tracks folk already have too and what they want and then make decisions based on the member feedback. You know me if I have anything at all to do with it, it will certainly not be an elitist and fat cat only league series at all as that is something I have always been totally against. However, for any hobby we do need to usually make some investment but hopefully at an amount that the vast majority of our members can easily afford as we want as many as possible to join in the fun.

The actual iRacing league hosting is very inexpensive and great value for what they offer. So no, I honestly do not think iRacing is expensive when you consider all that you get and the discounts and promotion packets too can make it fantastically good value.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Yeah I don't think that's an issue, people here use iracing anyways, regardless of Legends, so if they manage to start a group based on what they want or what is realistic, then its a matter of drawing in new drivers, whom also already have iracing or are interested in the sim to begin with.

The amount of cash spend by individuals is mainly because of the sim itself, league racing is just a bonus.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Rik Walker wrote:I've no first hand experience, but this is the video they put out when the introduced the league functionality

Looking at the member site there are over 500 registered leagues (~230 with > 30 members) although it's hard to find a league with lots of members that really uses the in-built league functionality. Quite possibly this is because successful leagues have their own website anyway. If we were to have an iR league then I would expect it best to use the iR functionality (and keep it up to date!) more as a recruiting tool than anything else with the bulk of the stuff on our own website where it would be visible to all.
Pretty nifty system they got!

Its all there (apart from teams?) and it doesn't take much to organise something.
Creating a championship menu on our website with some info as usual but using mainly the ir-league to address points etc.
You could even invite new drivers to the ir-league only, and once they seem to stick around ask them to register on our website. that would make it a bit more inviting perhaps, or at least easier to quickly join without too many obligations as the usual trick is to get them in first, and then make them stay because well organised, friendly, etc.
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

Sounds like a plan Rouke, iR has changed considerably since those early days. I don't know of half the potential myself. I have set up a few sessions but the league stuff I haven't looked at. I only race in with the Lotus 79 and dabble occasionally with the tin tops and other open wheelers but at my age to jump from one to another car is too difficult. The L79 is not a high participation serries but the drivers are the most respectful out of all the serries I believe, and the CTC championship reminds me of the way Legends League operated. This is the post to explain how it works, if you can see it?

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts ... 90958.page
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

nope :)
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

I think this is most of it.

The CTC members all run classic paints from the 1978 to 1980 era of Formula One. You do not have to be a painter.
These paints are provided for your enjoyment.

The entire point of the CTC is that it is a system to make sure as many as possible driving in authentic period paints. So if you want to see as many historic paints on the grid as possible, you should consider signing up.

It's not a league in the traditional sense. Here are some important things to remember;

1. There are no special times or days to run. You just need to join an official race on the iRacing service.

2. You don't have to be fast. You will find experienced and clean drivers to race in this series no matter your speed.

3. You don't need to find team members. You will be assigned to a team. You are however allowed to form a team with specific other drivers (max 3 drivers per team) unless they are already assigned to a different team.

4. Once you are assigned to a team, you MUST run the team paint you are assigned to. That is the whole point to this, that we all have authentic team paints.

5. When you finish the season, you will be assigned a new team and new team paint according to your results.

Paint jobs must be uploaded to www.tradingpaints.com. Please ask for help if you don't know how to do it. Also consider leaving a donation when you are there because this championship would be very hard to do without their service.

Rules

To participate in the championship:
You have to sign up: in this thread, to me by personal message or by chat if we meet in an online session. You can sign up at any time, it's never too late!

You have to use a paint job corresponding to the team to which you are assigned. You can paint it yourself, or it will be provided to you.

Assignment to teams:
Teams are based on real F1 teams that raced in the 1978 season, both the Formula One world championship grand prix races and the British Aurora AFX Formula One series.

If you participated in the last official Classic Lotus Grand Prix season, your final standing will determine which team you are assigned to. Do well, and you will be in one of the top teams, but there is an element of randomness to the assignments.

If you have not participated in last season’s classic team championship, you will be assigned to one of the lower ranked teams, with seats filling top to bottom first come first serve.

Mid-season promotions
If any of the constructor's championship team drivers (John Player Lotus through Melchester Racing) retire during the season (fail to participate more than two weeks in a row without leaving notice that they expect to return), their seat will be offered to the best matching driver from the independent teams, by average points scored in a week.

Permanent teams
If you wish to be paired with a specific teammate, let me know and you will be assigned together next season. You will be assigned according to the championship standings of the lower ranked teammate. If either teammate fails to complete 8 weeks of racing, you will be moved to a low ranked team for next season. In the event of three drivers requesting to be on the same team, they will be assigned based on the performance of the median ranked driver.

Championship points
The championship uses the same points scoring system as the official driver’s championship, with four driver drop weeks etc.

The team's score for a week is the sum of all participating drivers' points for the week.

THE TEAMS (it is recommend that you use your assigned driver # as your preferred number plate # in the iracing paint application options. This is to help identify you in practice, qualifying and hosted sessions.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

Hi all,

It's good to know that some of you are still kicking around here.

After a long break from simracing due to other priorities, I've been in dire need of some good ole', clean racing. I reached out to Steve to understand what's happening on the rF2 side of the house. It looks like Steve has had enough of some of the issues still plaguing rF2, and the likelihood (at least near term) of another rF2 championship is pretty slim.

Even though I promised myself I would never go back to iRacing due to countless frustrating moments with the physics back in 2010-11, I decided to bite the bullet and recently signed up for another 3 months. After all, I owe iRacing something - I found Legends back in 2010 because of that service.

I have to say that the driving dynamics have improved (now on NTM v6), but there is still something random acting up once the tires are at the limit of adhesion. With that said, the presentation, the service, the compilation of results are second to none. Amazing as it has always been. I just wish we could port over the rF2 physics onto that service. That would be to die for...

In any case, I am willing to train my brain to deal with some of the inconsistencies in the driving dynamics if Legends is resurrected. I really want to be part of a league, racing with people I trust rather than having to deal with running the typical iRacing races.

Let me know how things shape up, but I'm really eager to start competing again.

Later,
B.
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

This is looking good, I can feel a plan coming togethyer :love:
ImageBaz
Safety Fast