G25

rFactor general discussions
Rolf Just
Provisional

G25

Post by Rolf Just »

Hey maybe anyone has that wheel and can help me. Its possible that i've not the right settings for the F1 79 mod because my oval career. The biggest prob is the throttle, the 2nd the brake. I've to be very very carefully with the throttle, a little to much and i spin but if i'm careful i lost to much time per lap.
Risto drove at saturday in the quali 1:29 and i 1:36. That are 7s difference. Ok im never so fast like he and i would be happy with a difference of 3 or 4 sec but 7!!! The problem is the turn entry and exit. I've to wait til im thru the turn and then i can press the throttle.
The same is with the brake. I press a little to hard i spin and that with a good set. Got it from a driver here ;)
Now my question:
Can anyone with the same wheel post his settings in windows and ingame. Maybe mine are wrong or im to stupid to run that mod. Never got these problems. Not with GT's or actually F1 cars. That was the reason why i didn't race yesterday. Btw grats Risto :thumbsup:
Cheers
Rolf aka Magic43

"Never let a crash damp your enthusiasm. Heck we all have days like that!"
(Richard Petty)
Kat
Super

Re: G25

Post by Kat »

Hi Rolf,

Firstly - Fuji is a horrible track so don't get disheartened by it. The last section especially is a NIGHTMARE and VERY easy to spin there so my first bit of advice is ignore Fuji and look at Adelaide.

Adelaide isn't a 'great' track but should be a lot more straight forward and easier to get a handle on.

Secondly - Throttle, not sure what car you were using the Ligier which uses the Cosworth engine. The Cosworth has bags of low down torque so you need to bleed the throttle in rather than going to full throttle. The Ferrari is a lot easier in that respect, however the T4, while a good car, is more of a handful than the Ligier so I'd suggest sticky with the (technically slightly quicker) Ligier for now.

Thirdly - Brakes - First tip is to make sure the pressure is reduced to 94-96% - that helps reduce lockups and will make your life easier. Second is a tip from ( I think ) Stirling Moss "Get all your braking done in a straight line", some corners force trail braking ( last section at Fuji for instance) where you have to reduce brake pressure as you corner, but try not to unless your an alien or the track forces you to.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Risto Kappet
National

Post by Risto Kappet »

Hey Rolf

Main thing is just to get the laps in, especially as you come from oval racing which in my mind doesnt involve even a fraction of the skill needed for normal track racing.
Sure you cant go full gas so you need to controll the throttle and rear end, and perhaps think about slipstreaming but thats it.
About 3 years ago when i first touched this mod i was overwhelmed too, i had no feeling and was struggling alot, but as time passed you get to feel the car.
So i suggest you to just drive as much as possible.
You can check the amount of laps driven ingame from the player profile, how much laps did you do for the Fuji race? For me it shows 231 laps + we had this track
last year so about same from there. If i average about 150 laps practice per track then i would estimate having completed about 3000 laps with this mod alone.
Just stick to it and dont get upset by speed, try first to drive cleanly and always finish so you can get a good feeling from that. Then as you feel safe, you get
confidence and only then you can push these agressive cars.
But sure you can mess around with settings do ease your beginning, you can definatly touch the sensitivity ones in your controller alot. If you cant manage your feet
yet, then simply reduce the brake and/or throttle sensitivity so the same amount of pedal application results in less input into the game.
I also have a G25 (pretty recently got it) and im running about 40% on all pedal sensitivities, i also have the brake pedal as clutch and clutch pedal as brake
but thats just me, i try to make everything around me resemble a kart which i drive alot in real life. And im guessing im much more younger than you and racing is all i think
or dream about and i have a really good opinion about myself lol, i think im the best. So i dont think you should be aiming for me anyway, i dont know anything about you in real life
but im sure around midfield there are some solid people who simrace as a secondary hobby next to a busy life who you can maybe relate to and realistically challenge.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

I got my wheel set in windows to 360degrees. ingame steering lock usualy arround 20, pedals are set to unduvidual axis (forgot how its called but set it in windows) and negative ffb values.
And the rest is a propor setup (base/stabillity is what you should start with) and lots and lots of practise.

Ignore Risto and Grant and the likes, these guys are maniaks. i'm a reasonably fast driver and my goal is to be within a second of their time/pace, but i dont focus too much on them and certainly do NOT use their setups :upsidedown:

But yeah, almost everyone starting with GP79 is going through the stuff you are going through, its gonna take time and lots of practise. I would advise to spend more time on-track and less in the garage trying to tweak.

Btw Rolf, Costa and i decided you was able to race at Fuji based on mainly your statement that safety was your aim as well, which is all we hope for. But i do respect your decision not to race because you didnt feel comfourtable yet, that kinda confirms my idea that it was going to be a safe bet. Thx for beeing so considerate.
So be there next race, server is open 24/6 (but we got TWFC/F167 this week) cya next race or perhaps this week in TWFC :)
Last edited by Rouke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Vadim
Super

Post by Vadim »

I started 1979 and had setups totally different then they are now.

As for your pedals:
A linear and long way creates a safer feeling on the.accel.
This is a fact that stands regardless of the wheel.
Find your sweet spot for 50% in game throttle.
This will help you apply steady and gentle power out of corners.
Enough power diff makes the back come around nicely.

Or ask Grant...he has the hardest...and fastest acceleration I very ever seen in this mod...also a way to go ;-)

Be assured, being fast has a lot to do with careful pedal operation...it is very much a matter of two things:
Balls and practice...practice and practice.
Don't overdo the power differential at first.
0% is very forgiving with the right setup.
Aim for 10 -20 % in the long run.

ASK AROUND FOR SETUPS
On the next track....post a replay of your best lap.
We can go through it...see where you could gain time.

I like your aim for looking at what the fastest ppl. do.
To be fast...you have to be cold as ice IMHO....the direct opposite of a maniac.

Most importantly..
Be stubborn @ practice and be open for tips and setup approaches you consider impossible at first :-)
Rolf Just
Provisional

Post by Rolf Just »

Thx a lot all for your help and advice. One thing i can see after read your posts: That mod is not easy to drive and thats good to know. Will try to use all your tips and we will see what happens :) Btw what is autoblip and autolift?
Cheers
Rolf aka Magic43

"Never let a crash damp your enthusiasm. Heck we all have days like that!"
(Richard Petty)
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

Rolf Just wrote:Thx a lot all for your help and advice. One thing i can see after read your posts: That mod is not easy to drive and thats good to know. Will try to use all your tips and we will see what happens :) Btw what is autoblip and autolift?
Helps with gear shifting - blipping is giving a bit of gas to syncronise engine speed on down shifts, lifting just helps if you can't time lifting the throttle pedal properly with gear shifts.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

As Kat says.

In practical terms, auto-blip means you will never accidentally lock the rear wheels when downshifting. I don't think auto-lift has much point with GP79, but it could be useful in mods where any over-revving would cause engine damage.

The downside with these aids is that they add a small weight penalty. The actual penalty is mod dependant, with GP79 it is 0.5% for each of them so if you use both then it is 1% which would equate to 6 to 7kg depending on car & fuel load.

Bottom line: if you want to be as fast as possible then don't use them.

FWIW, I use auto-blip. Maybe it's time I learnt not to :)

nb: I'm not sure if auto-blip & lift are options in the rF user interface. If not then you can adjust them using your .plr file. First make sure you have rF closed and then edit the file rfactor/userdata/<your name>/<your name>.plr and the entries are:

Auto Lift="0" // Whether to automatically lift with manual shifting but auto-clutch (non-semiautomatic trans only)
Auto Blip="1" // Whether to automatically blip with manual shifting but auto-clutch (non-semiautomatic trans only)
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Rolf Just wrote:Hey maybe anyone has that wheel and can help me. Its possible that i've not the right settings for the F1 79 mod because my oval career. The biggest prob is the throttle, the 2nd the brake. I've to be very very carefully with the throttle, a little to much and i spin but if i'm careful i lost to much time per lap.
Risto drove at saturday in the quali 1:29 and i 1:36. That are 7s difference. Ok im never so fast like he and i would be happy with a difference of 3 or 4 sec but 7!!! The problem is the turn entry and exit. I've to wait til im thru the turn and then i can press the throttle.
The same is with the brake. I press a little to hard i spin and that with a good set. Got it from a driver here ;)
Now my question:
Can anyone with the same wheel post his settings in windows and ingame. Maybe mine are wrong or im to stupid to run that mod. Never got these problems. Not with GT's or actually F1 cars. That was the reason why i didn't race yesterday. Btw grats Risto :thumbsup:
Welcome to Legends, Rolf.
I don't currrently run TWF1 here at Legends [real world necessities] but I ran for several seasons in it and can offer up a little advice [FWIW]. As a measure of full disclosure, I was NOT what you'd consider a hotshot [by any means] but when on top of my game I was no slouch either! :upsidedown:
As several of the guys have mentioned here proviously, the single most significant tool to getting faster at any track is putting in the laps. Practice, practice, practice. In fact, something I found very helpful especially if the track was new for me [and by mean one I had less than 500 laps in!] was during practice sessions to NOT pay attention to laptimes. If you need something to look at, pay attention to tire temps and wear, also brake temps. The more laps you get in [the longer the stints the better] not focusing on laptimes, the more time you'll spend actually learning the track. You may find yourself doing a couple hundred laps at the same times then suddenly something will click and you'll see your times drop.

Setups- don't focus too hard on someone elses setups. Everyone is unique; what may work for the pole sitter might be utterly undriveable for the guy in second place. Do a little reading through the forums on the basics of setting up the car and learn what works for YOU, not someone else. The 'fastest' setup on track is no good if it's so hairy to drive that you cant finish a race using it.

Throttle - as Kat mentioned, throttle response has some to do with which car your driving. But I would also recommend looking at what your differential lock settings are. Power - the higher the number the less the car will want to rotate under heavy throttle. Coast - same idea, tyhe higher number the less the car will want to rotate when you're off throttle [entering the corner]. Finding the right balance will change with each track, along with your skill level. The better you get, even the number of laps you put in per track, will likely see these settings go lower, but don't think that just by lowering the settings you'll get faster! You won't. In fact, you'll likely get slower because you'll be back to spinning and feeling like the car is going to spin on you all the time.

Braking - If you're getting into trouble under braking because you're locking up the brakes, don't be afraid to lower the brake pressure setting. Some guys are very happy to feather the brake pedal and do just fine. Myself, when I reach the end of a long straight and am reacdy for MAX braking, I want to stomp my foot to the floor. Under almost all cars, in order to do this without locking up the brakes by mid pedal travel you must lower the brake pressure below 100%. For most seasons I drove the T4 Ferrari and my avg. brake pressure setting was between 80-85%. Again, very personal choice. Doing this in combination with bumping up the differential locking [coast] should help get the car more stable for you.

G25 - as for the G25, I'm not sure that tweaking the settings on it will make a big difference but I know there are at least a couple of threads here for suggestions on how to set it up.

viewtopic.php?t=204&highlight=g25+setup+realfeel
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)