Racing in close company..

Discussing and analysing racing situations

Moderator: Rouke

Antonio Wojahn
Super

Re: Racing in close company..

Post by Antonio Wojahn »

Hi,

I think modern F1, just like John mentioned, gives us a lot of wrong ideas about racing. The point is that these drivers are all pros and in it for money and fame. I don't want to loose the excitement in online racing, but I also don't want to feel like my fellow drivers just don't care and are more interested in their own success than in good racing. Which worked pretty well around here for me, I'd like to say. :)

So we all agree: just looking, no touching, ehehe! :lol:

Ciao,
Antonio
Aufgeben ist das Letzte, was man sich erlauben darf. <> Giving up is the last thing you may allow yourself.
Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

Antonio Wojahn wrote:I think modern F1, just like John mentioned, gives us a lot of wrong ideas about racing.
it's a damn good thing I don't watch any modern F1 :twisted: hence I have not a lot of wrong ideas about racing 8)
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps
Antonio Wojahn
Super

Post by Antonio Wojahn »

David Kadlčák wrote:
Antonio Wojahn wrote:I think modern F1, just like John mentioned, gives us a lot of wrong ideas about racing.
it's a damn good thing I don't watch any modern F1 :twisted: hence I have not a lot of wrong ideas about racing 8)
You also tend to forget a lot. :lol: When are you coming over to visit Mike? :cheesy: *hinthint*

Back on topic, I think that in "old F1" there was the rare occasion where "gentlemanly" behaviour happened... but on the other hand, I guess, that wasn't always good sport as well. Things like giving your car to your superior teammate (because his car broke) are just not really sporting. But anyway, the way we had to drive in GPL was much more cautious because the risk was much higher. Modern sims allow a lot of contact, so we have more bad contacts as well. Maybe it's inevitable, since we don't have the same training that pros would have. :)

Ciao,
Antonio
Aufgeben ist das Letzte, was man sich erlauben darf. <> Giving up is the last thing you may allow yourself.
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

With the exception of iRacing Tony, I think that seems to have the damage right so no one wants to risk contact, or curbing that is unrealistic for that matter.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
Antonio Wojahn
Super

Post by Antonio Wojahn »

The SR rating is all that stops people in iRacing - and that only if they have to watch it... :cuss: I don't think the damage is particularly realistic, but they have made it quite severe to touch something. What I can't fathom is why they actually cut back on the damage physics to the kind of deformation stuff they now have. You can't even loose a wheel, can you?

Ciao,
Antonio
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Quite a good topic with allot of common sence so i moved it to the LRA forum for future reference.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

Antonio Wojahn wrote:The SR rating is all that stops people in iRacing - and that only if they have to watch it... :cuss: I don't think the damage is particularly realistic, but they have made it quite severe to touch something. What I can't fathom is why they actually cut back on the damage physics to the kind of deformation stuff they now have. You can't even loose a wheel, can you?

Ciao,
Antonio
you can't lose a wheel, but you can damage it to a point where it's just like losing a wheel. On the mazda you can bend the front wheels 90° upward.
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps
Larry Thomas
National

Post by Larry Thomas »

In the Kyalani incident race report was surprised to see that I had an incident «"reported contact with another vehicule ". I was on the racing line going into a turn when I was nudged on the side by a car trying to overtake on the inside. Is the incident an error by the computer (eg the computer decided that I turned in front of the other car coming up the inside) or was I in the wrong ? Am new to Legends and sim racing so if I am doing something wrong I don’t want to it a second time and spoil someones race.
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

All it means is that there was contact recorded by your PC. It's not saying that it was your fault and the contact may have been yours, the other driver's or just a racing incident. It would take a human to work that out!

I've not seen the incident so can't comment on it, but your post seems to say that if you are on the racing line then you think it has to be the other driver's fault. That's not necessarily the case and if he had sufficient overlap before you reached the turning in point then it would be your responsibility to give him enough room, just like he has to hold a tight line to give you enough room.
Larry Thomas
National

Post by Larry Thomas »

Thanks for making things clear Rick.

[quote="Rik Walker"]your post seems to say that if you are on the racing line then you think it has to be the other driver's fault. That's not necessarily the case and if he had sufficient overlap before you reached the turning in point then it would be your responsibility to give him enough room, just like he has to hold a tight line to give you enough room.[/quote]
My explanation was a bit short. I agree with you entirely.