Look what I've got!

Hardware, Software, Internet, Email, Security, OS, Simulations, Etc.
Martin Cooper
Super

Re: Look what I've got!

Post by Martin Cooper »

Ray Walton wrote: I would probably update my whole system though I would only do it if I could keep my Win 10 installation with all the software I have installed and set up. No way do I want to reinstall everything again and struggle to get back all my well established configurations
Hi Ray & every body :byehi:
Hopefully W10 does the same as W7. I was worried about upgrading having a W7 OEM system. A little research revealed the System Preparation Tool in Windows which allows you to upgrade an a system as the "engineer" (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13 ... puter.html). Using this I've upgraded without any problems, changing out everything except the drives. No re-install of any software required. They do advise though that it's best to stick to the same mobo manufacturer.
CompuServe F1SA & Legends League 1997-2015

"I was going too fast for the conditions - it was entirely my own fault. I am sorry" Seaman 1939

My Toys http://s128.photobucket.com/user/martin ... %20diecast - Updated 19 August 2015
Leo
Super

Post by Leo »

Good one, Rick. That freed up another 5 GB (of the 16 GB in that particular Windows folder!).

Ray, I have TWO HD6900 series videocards. Looks like that's plenty of graphic power to run iRacing.

In fact, iRacing runs very well on this machine. It's a joy to drive and its realism is stunning. Not just in graphics but in car behaviour and road surface. I had never tried the latest few updates, but the physics have really improved over what I remember.

The only thing I find lacking now, is two more 24" monitors so I can look better into corners!
LIFE IS RACING, THE REST IS WAITING
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Yes Leo having those two big 6900 cards should be massively more than adequate mate for iRacing and probably more graphics grunt than my single but more recent Asus R260X DC2 2GB card.

Achim thanks for that info re Windows 10 hardware changes and your excellent knowledge. I would rather keep all my software and settings and then either before or after such an upgrade prune down all the software I no longer use or need. Please give me a ring when you can matey and this week before Christmas would be a good time to hear from you. When and if I do come to change the Mobo, CPU and RAM then I would dearly value your help. I will stick to another Asus mobo and Intel cpu of course as that should help the switch over.

As to licencing Windows well when I changed hardware before I found Microsoft very helpful on re-validating the licencing without cost. I had a MS guy from India on Skype who really knew his stuff and was so helpful when he talked me through it after I screwed up the Microsoft website automated revalidating system by accidentally inserting a wrong response .... duh !!!
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Sulla Looming
Super

Post by Sulla Looming »

WTF !

I get Rf2....what a mess of mods !

Any racing still happening here or is all.... :seriously:

:nodance:

?
Why else would cars have side windows?
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Hi Sulla

Sadly no racing here at this time and that is dues to many problems with rF2 and lack of attendance at our races earlier this year. So for now the league is having a well deserved rest but keep an eye on our website home page for any announcements in the future. We are keeping the domain registered and the website open so we can reawaken Legends League if and when we feel it appropriate, what sim and what format of course we have no idea right now.

Happy New Year to you and indeed to all our many league members.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
AchimT
National

Post by AchimT »

Hi Ray,

just got back from a trip (one of many). Will call 'ya. But I may not be as knowledgeable regarding hardware juggling as I used to be (but I am still as humble as I used to be :upsidedown: )
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

Hi Sulla, a few of us are active on iR namely Paul Langford Mark Fisher Rick and myself. It is very much better than when it was discussed on here a long time ago and well worth the subscription.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

Well, I stopped in to wish everyone a Happy New Year! I miss racing with you all.

I'm now focusing on Assetto Corsa and online club races. The sim is getting better with each upgrade and though it lacks some of the rf2 features, I still find it very immersive to drive. The feeling of weight transfer is unmatched even in rF2. Some of the oversteer moments may be a bit too progressive and easy to catch, but I can accept that given all other aspects of the driving dynamics.

I gave iRacing another try, but I just don't get along with those physics. Some things still remain very much a guessing game for me.

Anyway, I hope to see Legends back in full glory sooner rather than later. Steve gave it valiant shot to resurrect it and I thank him for that.

Later,
B.
Sulla Looming
Super

Post by Sulla Looming »

Hi Guys,

Yeah what a shame, it's not like i can get here at all really these days but a shame the racing has stopped for now.

I came home for Christmas and finally thought yes ! I'll buy Rf2. So i did....now i'm not sure how long it's been up now but as son as i logged into to see wat online servers where running...i got a huge shock ! It's everything that was bad about the last days of Rf1 before Rf2 came along.

Exactly how many mods are out there ???? How many versions of how many tracks ???

Now i'm old Rf1 head ya? and for me it was a nightmare. Trying to figure out what i should download and what this is and what version of a Porsche mod this was and oh there's a custom mod for every bloody league and the majority of servers are empty.....So i can only imagine somebody new to it would just walk away at a very early stage. Then i realised that you can download the mods as you try to join....but why so many...it's crazy.

Lets take ISI 1966 ( i think ) F3 and F2...great little mods..why nobody racing them anywhere ????

Instead it looked to me like people just wanted Rf2 version of their old usual Rf1 mod. So they mod a mod or Rf2 a Rf1 mod and shape is so it's just like they are used to. Pooooohey !

I'm sorry maybe it's just me but towards the end of me playing Rf1 i started to really hate the number of mods out there...especially the tracks. Kyalami 1985...Kyalami 1986...Kyalami 1987...why no Kyalami 2024 ?????....i mean...it's worh doing obviously :daft: I downloaded the Megane mod from rfactorcentral ( whatever its called now ) so surely i can join some kind of race .... yes ? NO ! Ofcourse all the servers bar the ISI official server use a different megane mod AGH ! :violent:

Ok...i vented...i hope the league gets back going one day...take it easy guys...Happy New Year to you all :victorydance:
Why else would cars have side windows?
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Sulla :byehi:

Yeah its a crappy situation. For Legends its such a shame to see this go to waste, for rf2, I dunno, basically the same situation as with rf1 tbh, just more advanced and less people. But you still are screwed when you don't have a home to return to, a league or community. in public its a mess indeed, but a mess by design. This is what they want, open source, do anything you want.

But rf2 is also more difficult, less easy to master, longer periods before you feel that sense of gratification and reward. I think that is one of the reasons we don't get new blood pouring in across the board (plus the fact that they can't crack rf2 like with rf1 so they have to pay for it and they wont)
And the F3/2's, they old news. peeps like the latest thing, was the same in rf1, the constant jumping from this mod to that mod.

ISI did however push their public servers again, last time they did that it was pretty good for public racing so that's an option if you don't mind the cars they use (but they change often)

Anyways, happy new year to all, hopefully at some point we will be able to revive Legends :oldgit:
Last edited by Rouke on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image