First attempt at capture/video and youtube.

iRacing general discussions
MarkF
Super

First attempt at capture/video and youtube.

Post by MarkF »

Team UKs first lap triumphs and tribulations at the SOF at Spa, I got a cracking start :halm:

Would be grateful for any help on capture settings, render settings etc. I see some videos a lot cleaner than this.
Last edited by MarkF on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Mark
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Re: First attempt at capture/video and youtube.

Post by Rik Walker »

Can't watch it, says the video is private.
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

First hurdle then, it is now unlisted, try that
Regards

Mark
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Well done Mark :)

I enjoyed watching it. I do enjoy watching the series, big grids, great graphics plus of course drivers that i know such as yourself & Baz. Not seen Rik yet though. I think as soon as the Rand/Dollar exchange rate gets a bit better I'll give iRacing a go again. :)

Regards,
Bret
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Nice first vid man, my first vid was awful :asiangrin:

Getting good quality can be tricky, I suggest searching for items on the iracing forums (as the sim replays should dictate certain preferred settings) and also tricks on youtube, quickest way to find answers imo.

you need a few separate things:
If possible crank up graphics in replays after they are recorded (you might have some settings lowered for racing)

Make sure your capturing settings (fraps etc) are optimal. and don't assume highest settings are bestest, for example in fraps Half-size instead of full-size capturing makes for less large files and hardly noticeable quality loss. (capturing scene's will then stress cpu and gpu much less)

Your video editor settings are of course the most important. which editor are you using?
I'm a bit behind atm but during rf1 in my vid editor I would have a youtube-profile with specific settings like size, coding, etc. to make it optimal
Took me quite some experimenting to get it right and that also contained figuring out what is best for youtube. because your big-screen HD avi movie might be a pile of pixelated crap once youtube did its magic. so you need to find out what you currently need. (i.e don't watch tutorials from 2011, much will have changed)

Also the correct size needs to be checked. you don't really need to stick with what youtube recommends (as close to their size as possible) in fact I found going for somewhat bigger sizes would be better in quality once it got uploaded.

As said, i'm a bit behind so can't really recommend specific settings but the iracing forums and youtube should serve you well.

And I would work on what camera's are avail in iracing as well, your camera angles and at which points you use them can really make a video come to live. so try to avoid the handful of default/obvious ones, get creative :)

You can do simple tests on youtube to see effects, just render 10 seconds video, upload it as private video and check the result. keep track of settings you used for each one.
Last edited by Rouke on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Thanks guys, cheers Rouke, yep, I spent a couple of days trying to search out best capture and render settings, I did this as an experiment really for quality, the edited and capture angles etc. was rushed, that is why it is unlisted, also need to edit with the tools, but got to learn that first.

So I am capturing with Nvidia's Shadowplay at 1080hd (although the game is running on this machine at 2560x1600, doesn't make any diff to qual if i change the game to 1080 too) 50bps and 60fps. Game settings maxxed.

I use Sony Vegas movie studio HD Plat 11 for edit and rendering at 1080 10k bps and 60 fps (10mins is about 600mb)

Youtube then recompresses it to 4k bps 30fps at 1080 which is where I am losing the quality, i have tried capturing at those settings but it looks awful on my computer, I was kind of hoping someone here would point me at the sweet spot, save me a lot of time, seems it is not as simple as that. Maybe I can try Fraps, I downloaded Dxtory but have to yet get it working properly.
Regards

Mark
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

Nice one Mark, you certainly did get a flyer. I had a compromised first gear so as not to keep fireing up the rears out of the bustop chicane. My slow start helped me avoid some carnage. Well pleased with a P6 finish although i did loose a place with 2 to go. :banana:

Do come and join us Bret, would be great to rub wheels again. :halm:

For those with access to iRacing News the race report is here;

http://www.iracing.com/iracingnews/irac ... ampionship
Last edited by Baz West on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast