Indycar Event-8th June

Off-season, Special and Annual events are all discussed/announced here.
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Re: Indycar Event-8th June

Post by Grant Riddall »

Rouke wrote:Yes I know, I meant exiting because I crash allot :rofl:

You trying to hint something to me? :lol:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Justin Bright
Novice

Post by Justin Bright »

I keep starting my posts with apologies and this one is, unfortunately, keeping up that trend. *sigh* :roll: Sorry gents, but I'm not going to be able to make it for the races, this weekend. I'm working Saturday and I've been collared to help a friend move house for the remainder of the weekend, so time is yet again, not on my side. I must have "mug" tattooed across my forehead, I cannot remember the last time I had a full weekend off with no work or favours to do. :daft:

Of course, if I'm back in time on Sunday evening I'll be all over this like a rash... or maybe that should say crash...

On a more positive note though, my boss has returned to work today, so things should hopefully start getting back to normal for me now. No more pressure and long hours, YAY! I should be good for the next FR35 championship round next weekend... and by "good" I mean in attendance, not my actual driving which is.... well...... :o :shock:
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

I have a friend coming over to watch the Canadian GP, so I won't make this non-championship round. I will be there next week for Bahrain.

I did try the oval. I can see how it takes special skill to get the best lap time out of it, but it's so boring when lapping by yourself. Running in a pack however, I can assume it's pretty challenging
Justin Bright
Novice

Post by Justin Bright »

Well, after finding out my services weren't required by my friend today. I had the opportunity to knuckle down and get some laps in. Man, there's more to this combo than meets the eye! Intense battling for pretty much the entire race with Mitch and Bret, until I got loose off T2 and smacked my right side into the barrier with about 5 laps to go. Somehow my car wasn't a write off after! I hope ISI will update some aspects of these cars soon, I must say I was surprised, I was able to carry on afterwards. I was then chased down by Ralph and was convinced he was gonna snatch the position, right at the death, but somehow I managed to bring it home in 3rd! Well happy with that!

Hats off to the guys up front, you lot were literally on another planet! :allhail:

Thanks again for another great evenings racing gents.
Ryan
National

Post by Ryan »

Always fun to run at Indy when there is someone in close proximity... But... having a 45 minute race with fragile cars and no room for error is not the best setup for us amateurs. Grant did a fantastic job of sticking to me and reeling me in but eventually had an issue that set him back about 1.5secs per lap...This race was basically over after 15 laps.

Unless there are safety cars we desperately need multiple short races for both Ovals and Road Courses on Sundays. Three 15 minute races instead of one long race where someone else's mistake at the start ruins the entire event for you.
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Have to say I only found some decent pace during the practice session on the server last night, qualifying 2nd was a major (pleasant) surprise for me. All that went too poop though, at the start of the pace car lap I encountered terrible lag/stutters, so I pulled off to the left, was just about to quit when the lag/stutters went away, ended up at the back of the field. Managed to pass a few peeps until I closed in on Justin/Ray...some good scrapping with those two. :) Made a mess of my pit stop, lost a crap load of time and that was that really. Can't say I enjoyed the oval, next time I would like to set up a Road Course race, Brno I think would be appropriate as that's Round 3 of the TWFR35 Championship in a couple of weeks time.

Regards,
Bret
maiph
Legends Admin Team

Post by maiph »

I quite enjoyed myself despite being unable to find real pace, the cars look great and I have raced ovals many times in Nascar2003. Qualified 8th I think and had a good few opening laps, climbed to 5th then lost momentum after going 2-wide with Ray, a very near miss. A few cars passed me but I stayed within sight of them until my pit-stop. I was a bit slow on entry and had some damage so was stationary for 15 seconds, emerging onto clear track. The second stint was solitary but I was now in 4th, kept my nose clean and got a sniff of the podium when Justin slowed towards the end. But my challenge went wrong, lost grip in his turbulence had to lift on the final lap, a bit deflated, maybe more single-seater oval race-craft needed. A bit puzzled about the lines of other cars constantly being plotted beyond the wall and wide of the apex, as if everyone else was driving a slightly bigger version of the track, it didn't inspire much confidence at close quarters.
Looking forward to using brake pedal again.
Image Image Image
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Despite my warnings to others I brushed/bumped the walls a few too many times in the first 10 laps or so, mostly because running too close behind others in turns which made me lose d/f.
Slight damage, hardly felt it tbh, but still almost 25/30% power or aero loss so I was losing out everywhere.
Pitted at the time I thought a full tank would still bring me home without an extra stop but the loss in speed was still there and now I was becoming a moving chicane for others...much heavier now also meant more unstable so I binned it as I did not want to create chaos.

I would test other tracks first Bret, I've done so and these cars only some alive when at high speeds, everything else it feels numb and sedated. hardly exciting, almost on rails. or at least to me.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

I always found oval racing pretty boring until this mod came out, actually it's pretty cool! But I skipped this to do a practice FR35 race which I won!* Really loving the FR35 and am half way through the transition from GT cars I think, doing 145.9 now at Bahrain which still appears to be 3 seconds down on Bogdan... but i am ok to race now, unlike Croft where I would have caused accident. * The fact I won is not cheapened whatsoever by the fact that nobody showed up due to race clashing with Canadian GP
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Must say, even though I was thoroughly out paced by the field, I had a blast. I personally love oval racing and will support them every time. Ryan's points are well taken, but an oval race without the need to pit stop isn't really an oval race [IMHO]. :upsidedown: Full coarse yellows would do well to tighten back up the fields though.
I hope this will not be the last oval race for us here at Legends.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Bret Metcalf wrote:...next time I would like to set up a Road Course race, Brno I think would be appropriate as that's Round 3 of the TWFR35 Championship in a couple of weeks time.
Excellent idea :cheers: .
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)