Thoughts for next season

rFactor 2 Winter Series I & II
Bogdan
National

Re: Thoughts for next season

Post by Bogdan »

Rick Stratton wrote:I find I prefer even the smallest of fields among friends and some close racing with drivers I trust.
I could not have said it better myself.
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

Rick Stratton wrote:
Rouke wrote:I say we go with Dale's suggestion of the Formula Renaults on a modern track. we haven't tried them yet. heck, since we have no clue what's causing this all for all we know the Renaults will give us 15 new members eh?

And I don't mind using aids either. imo it just helps in consistency and stability but it will not make anyone faster. in fact aids slow you down if anything.

Shall we start with just a single event and then see what we think of it afterwards?
I'll second this suggestion. As mentioned, not enjoying the older F2's all that much - yes, fun to drive but for racing I'm just bringing up the rear it seems. I'm not hopeful that at Nurb we will see any outsiders attend, leaving a pretty lonely event. :(

Dale, would you mind posting a setup? I remember the Renault's being severely tail happy too, then again the FIA F2's were as well but after some setup work I found them to be quite manageable. Never tried the Marussa.

On a deeper level, as much as I would love to give iRacing a try, I'm afraid it just not a financial commitment I can make. And I would not be interested in getting started only to find myself in a situation where I was having to make the choice of either spending money I couldn't afford [on a track, car, etc] or missing a race or series with Legends. So for that reason alone I find myself committed to rF2 at least for a while longer. Listening to all the iRacing talk, and the big grids... I will say that the one month trial I did give iRacing long ago, I didn't like the experience very much. The grids might have been big but they felt very much like pickup races, lot's of a$$holes on track and generally a very cold experience. I find I prefer even the smallest of fields among friends and some close racing with drivers I trust.
RF2 development has been a little slow, but like RF1 I think it's still waiting for that 'killer mod'. As mentioned earlier, I'm holding some hope that the pending ISI Indycar mod might fit that bill. The app itself has some nagging bugs but overall I think it's still very good and worthy. I'm very happy to continue contributing as an Admin in helping an RF2 series, or series of small series. That said, my actual racing participation may become sporadically diminished over the next few months [RL job related issues]
Rick, I don't know how good this is but it's a start!

EDIT: Also, I use the High Downforce package.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DaleB on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Good mods choices I have read of so far, I spent some time in the EVE F1 it is indeed a geat mod, and also a real headache to get confident in.

I never drove the F2 til I was in your server at Nords, I thought it was fantastic. A perfect compromise between F1 and F3.

Probably a good point someone made that the EVE F1, good mod tho it is, is not great choice for getting new members via an open server, people typically try for 10 minutes, crash it 10 times then exit and get in something easier to drive.

My feeling is F1 is very demanding, F3 is fun but lacking power, F2 is great balance. Also, SR4L are very strong in the Historic F1, F3 Fanatics have a pretty good crowd who are into the Historic F3, so could be good idea for you guys to occupy the F2 spot.

I have no real preference tho, so long as mod is good thats all that counts for me. That Mak F3 could also be a good choice - and differentiates from F3 Fanatics cause its a modern car not historic. I heard many good things about that mod but never tried it.

It's tough for everybody out there getting new members, I would not get too depressed about it, it isnothing particular to your league, it's the same everywhere ranging from Small groups to big. Reality is, that RF2 is the best sim out there by a clear margin, and ISI are not exactly getting everything right, but it's stil true RF2 is a step ahead. It's not for the masses at present, maybe never will, there is just a limited number of people out there and it's tough for anybody to get new members. I think when ISI release the IndyCar mod, there will be a lot of new players from America and things may take off a little then, one day maybe the game wil be finished lol, then things should be good.

I had never heard of Legends before last week, I just saw an open server at Nords with some people in it, that's the way I have joined several new places. I think Nords is a good choice to attract new people in, but so are many other tracks. The thing you gotta bear in mind more than anything, is that day, the Join was screwed in RF!! Nobody could join any server anywhere! I got lucky on your server that's all, I should not worry that nobody joined, that's the way it is or all servers on RF2 cause ISI screwed up. Hopefully they issue fix today I think they will.

I also think the settings you run at Nords were just perfect, I would keep them the same. Autoclutch only, I think you had 50% damage, nosecam+cockpit. Personally I don;t thik putting on TC and ABS will help get new members at all - the problem as I see it is the limited number of people online as mentioned above.

Run good mod, run good tracks with exiting settings, thats all you can do IMHO. But what I think is good idea is to post on the ISI Private Racing thread details about the new series - ISI forum is the one single place where everybody (many) people all go, RF2 strengths is also its weakness, the open platform is a sacred thing but a byproduct is the community is very fragmented all over the place, posting in ISI forum good way to reach out to many people. The have a sections purely for this kind of post the League / Private Racing forum.

Btw, I am assuming your league is open wheelers only? Seems obvious as that is all that's been suggested so far.

Will keep an eye on your server, and drop in again soon.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Great post Steve, especially:
I would not get too depressed about it, it isnothing particular to your league, it's the same everywhere ranging from Small groups to big.
That's nice to hear (reassuring somewhat) as I was wondering how this was going in other communities, in fact I was planning on making a thread about over at ISI asking what was up.

Regarding mods we chose so far, since we don't run championships in rf2 yet we have been trying just about everything, open wheelers, GT cars, tin tops and even multi-car.
We have mostly been an open wheeler league yes but it was never set in stone, member input was the deciding factor and due to our history that would mostly be open wheelers indeed with loads of sidesteps into other disciplines.

But so far its up for grabs imo.

Keep an eye out for our Special Events forum, that's where we are most active these days.
Last edited by Rouke on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Regarding the tracks posted by Dale, we do need to test a bit. for example Melbourne -which was gonna be my pick because F1 starts next sunday) is beta and ugly and buggy hehe.

Tried Fuji and it works, looks ok-ish. (made a rubber file whilst I was at it Bret)

Anyone tried Essington? imo pretty great track!
http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/9 ... ark-by-IsR
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Essington is a great track. Nice and smooth too ater the bumps of Nurburgring.
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

hardtohandle wrote:Essington is a great track. Nice and smooth too ater the bumps of Nurburgring.
Agreed Steve, nice track especially since ISR upgraded it and we haven't run it for a long time. A couple of others for following weeks, Portugal, Loch Drummond, both are very good too.
Last edited by DaleB on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

All sound like good tracks. The updated Essington is a totally new track scratch built, and is way better than the old one which was an rf1 conversion