RFactor2 SPECIAL: Modern F2's @ Estoril [Portugal] - Dec 8

Off-season, Special and Annual events are all discussed/announced here.
maiph
Legends Admin Team

Re: RFactor2 SPECIAL: Modern F2's @ Estoril [Portugal] - Dec 8

Post by maiph »

Rick Stratton wrote:
Apologies to Ralph in Race 2 tonight. Heading into T1, had a couple of 'guests' in front of me and I was getting nervous not knowing where they might start their braking. As such I tried to move over to give a clear line of sight but didn't see Ralph coming up beside me. Tapped his rear wheel sending him spinning, and myself too. :( Terribly sorry Ralph, my mistake fully and feel terrible in ruining your evening. :nodance:

Thanks for the apology Rick, I am over it now, adrenalin back down to monday levels :neutral: and it was a very isolated incident, I know you don't make it a habit. It was just a bit of a shock getting so totalled early on and from an unseen foe! :cuss:

I had a really good race in the first event, qualified bad, possibly fuel-heavy but had great race pace and kept out of trouble. Yes a real bumpy ride but wow, so immersive and concentrated. Had a race long chase of Dale, you drove well man, no mistakes and I could never quite mount a pass, very similar pace, hot fun!

Race 2, I got a demon start and was charging down the inside, pumped with expectation of another competitive run , then CLANG. Limped to turn 1 but i had no rear wing and everyone was gone down the road. Game over sadly. restart? :roll:

Can we do a Le Mans event please? :banana:
Image Image Image
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

I second Dale's opinion. Definitely open wheel is the way to go. I just think that the Spark F2 provides significantly more depth and therefore more enjoyment over the modern F2. The classic cars in rF2 are the best aspect of the sim. A Spark F2 or even the F1 would be a fun experience.

Dale - thanks for the link on the NVIDIA optimization. So far I haven't had many problems with FPS even on triple monitors. With that said, maybe it's time to try to turn on even more eye candy and spend some time further optimizing graphics card settings.

Edit: so what's the verdict? Did we pick up any new members with the modern F2 adventure? I still wonder why the F2 draws so much attention...
Last edited by Bogdan on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

Both my races were plagued by mistakes. But the racing was enjoyable non-the-less.
Bogdan wrote: Did we pick up any new members with the modern F2 adventure?
Well we sure did pick up a lot more attention with the modern F2's over most mod's we've used. Look at Silverstone. We were touching 25 drivers at one point im sure. 12-13 at Estoril with a passworded server isnt bad at all either considering.
I myself am starting to think these F2's are really starting to get good in racing terms and for me are above any other mod we've tried as a league in terms of safety while driving. I feel thier a lot more forgiving than we first thought. I could easily see a successful series with these.
But again the same could be said with the 60's F2's... Only problem with them is that, from my perspective, thier too unreliable when racing wheel to wheel. 60's F1 would be too much of a handlful to have any serious competitive consistant racing with them.
I still feel RF2 has yet to show us a ground holding mod that can substain constant interest. Look at GP79 in RF1... how many years did that hold interest? same can be said with 71's and 67's.. But RF2's mods for me are a bit of hit and miss at the moment.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

28 drivers at Silverstone. which was a bit much. and too public.
The public password idea at Portugal worked very well imo, all we need now is to iron out server issues or our understanding how things work and avoid messy race 2's :)

Verdict? there is none :)

There are not enough active members getting involved to get a decent consensus going. so far we have been doing single events to dip our toe's in the water.
We are now preparing a mini series to get something more out of it, both in terms of more participation and learning about rf2 as a sim and server platform.

As for mods, to me the 60 F2's are a very good contender but at this point we would just be one of the many many 60's servers out there. its used too much already in this tiny rf2 community.
The Modern F2's is the exact opposite, hardly used, and imo very underrated. I suspect most people complaining about it are hardly scratching the surface with it. (in general btw, not aimed at peeps here, or per se) and are not allowing themselves to get grips with it. i'll probably keep saying this for the next few years, this aint rf1 anymore where you can just jump in and have fun and expect to do good. those days are over, no matter what mod you use.

Personally I see the 60's cars more for a full blown championship once we have a decent enough user base backing it up, so for me it makes sense at this point to keep experimenting a bit more and see what happens.

And the mini series would carry us just into 2014. it remains to be seen if Legends will carry on as a league if we cannot pay the bills anymore.
Last edited by Rouke on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DaleB
International

Post by DaleB »

Bogdan, what is the difference between the Sparks and the Eve 60 cars? When I first got rFactor2 I couldn't stop playing/driving the Eve F1's, love that mod. You seem to really like the Sparks, is there a difference and if so what ? I'm just curious as I haven't driven the Sparks much. The Eve's I've run quite a bit, love running the high wing's at Spa and Monza (Brianza) lol.....
Bogdan
National

Post by Bogdan »

Dale,

I just really enjoyed driving when we ran the Spark F2 at Loch Drummond, but other than that I don't have much experience with them. I recall that I did try the Eve F2 and I was able to run similar lap times. The description below comes from ISI:

The EVE F1, F2 and F3 cars are a generic car of the specifications found in historic Grand Prix cars, and are similar in construction to the Matra cars of the late 1960′s which often led the way in the lower formulas, and were copied by many other teams at the time.

The Spark F1, F2 and F3 cars are a generic car of the specifications found in historic Grand Prix cars, and are similar in construction to the Tecno F2 and F3 cars of the late 1960′s which often led the way in those lower formulas. Tecno were very competitive, and in 1968 dominated the European F3 Championships. The team gave Clay Regazzoni his big break, helping him secure an F2 title in 1970.

Rouke - it seems that the overall mood is relatively somber when it comes to the future of Legends as a league. I recall that I donated back in 2010 when I first joined and was part of Legends for a limited time. It would be highly unfortunate if this place does not continue to live on and organize quality events. I will try to donate once again this year, but I don't know what impact that will really have on taking care of the running costs. There is clear dedication displayed by several members routinely - for example, the event posters are great and there is a lot of thought put into them. I appreciate that. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot personal time available that I could invest in helping you guys out. If I did, I definitely would. We should also keep our options open, and maybe when Assetto Corsa implements multiplayer, we should see if it becomes a good opportunity to pull in new members. I'm really enjoying AC even more now after they fixed the throttle map. I bet a lot of people will migrate to that platform if MP proves solid.

B.