Montreal reports

rFactor based League - Trans World Formula 1 [GP79]

Moderator: costagoz

Risto Kappet
National

Montreal reports

Post by Risto Kappet »

Shame about your DC(?) Grant, was looking forward to impress you with some modest and fair racing lol, last thing i remember when we raced is you saying that you felt unsafe racing vs me :(

Had an okay quali, best splits would have equaled my PB of 1.31.4
Start was not so good, although i burned out my rears alot, i had too short 1st gear for kikkostart i think, Grant got away
Was behind his ass for a lap, then fell back a second, started reeling in but then Grant went :(
From then on had a nice race practice for myself, 1st stint i used my rears way too much, 4 black dots on rears while only 2 on fronts when i pitted, 2nd stint was better with 1 less dot used on rears.
I generally made no mistakes but in the end came upon some guys racing, i was being pretty conservative not to ruin peoples fun and i understand people not pulling right over, felt like i was fighting for position and as i was showing myself to someone i went wide in braking and spun, losing about 10 seconds in the general time, but no harm done.

Thanks for the race, still love these cars, i probably wont have any more free weekends but il test out the BT48 in the next track :P and il try to give a word out for this league in other places, it deserves more participants! Although 11 is not less than previous race and from the driving side, there were no DNFs so GJ to everyone, hope to see you guys around ;)
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Re: Montreal reports

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Dunno what happened to Grant, a disco or what but it was a shame. :(

Yep-no chance of me putting any pressure at all on Risto.

Suspected my main battle would be with Ray and Roman, seemed to turn out that way. Got past Ray at the start at T1, gave plenty of room so no contact, then Ray dropped back a bit after he had a bad exit from the 1st chicane. Settled in and started to fill up Roman's mirrors :) , got my chance on lap 3 I think when Roman had a dodgy exit from the right/left chicane (about turn 5 I think). As i got past, I took a defensive line up to the next tight left/right but then enountered neutral, just managed to keep it tight and then get a decent exit. I pulled away from Roman bit by bit, eventually maintained a gap of about 6 or 7 seconds including when I came out the pits.

Nice result for me, enjoyed going the distance. :)

Regards,
Bret
Last edited by Bret Metcalf on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Fulghum
Super

Post by Eric Fulghum »

I had a fun race.
I started last in 11th and was up to 9th by the end of Lap1. I worked my way up to 4th before pitting at half-way. I had fun battling with Rik for quite a few laps before half-way. I brushed the wall and slightly bent the car, so I had to let Rik go because it wasn't turning to the left as well as I needed to stay in front of him.
I pitted on Lap18 and came out in front of Paul. He grazed me as he pushed by and I almost lost it, but I saved it and tried to chase him. I held the gap at around 4 secs for most of the rest of the race.
Near the end, I caught up to Kat but I couldn't get close enough to do anything.
I finished in 7th.
Eric Fulghum

TWF1 - GP79 Ligier - Heavy Metal Racing #66
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

Fun race but disapointing too..

Went non-stop on softs which, given my poor pace, was a good strategy and fairly soon was lapping at a decent pace and holding close enough to gain some places in the stops.

Unfortunately twice went in too deep into chicanes and spun - no damage but cost enough time that it meant that Paul could catch me - and get past with an excellent pass, and Eric put pressure on.

Still 6th I'm happy with, just shame my teamie decided he didn't feel up to racing - missed him :(.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

Well that sucked. Had no practise all week and by qualifying i was sitting comfortably second.
Start was good. Entered 1st and substained it and started racing Risto which would of been a great battle if for all of the sudden my computer froze and restarted.

I sat thier for a couple of hours crying ..... :cry:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

I knew I couldn't compete for the win here even if I didn't have any ballast. So I went for a conservative very high DF setup and concentrated on not making any errors. Good enough for 4th as I could capitalise when others did make them.

I really didn't want any extra ballast for the next race though and I was going to let my teamie by on the last lap but he got lapped just before starting it, oops. Great result for PR Racing either way and hopefully we can hold off Arcanum during the second half of the season.
Ray Riddall
Novice

Post by Ray Riddall »

Hi Guys , this race was plagued with wheel centering problems for me :mad: . If I re calibrate no problem, but after a while the center of the wheel started veering left, I suspect its either the sensor screw is loose or the sensor wheel is slipping, this happened to Grant's G25 so I'm hopping its the same on my G27.

Anyway's went for a no stopper, at the start lost a few places wheel was ok for a while then it was off center again thought I was managing it quite well I was up to third after others pitted, but eventually it caught me out put me in the barrier with front wing off so had to pit . Put softs on and with the extra grip I could lap a lot faster had a good scrap with Dmitriy at the end to finish eight.

Well done to Risto Bret and Roman.

Ray.
Image Image Image
Paul Langford
Super

Post by Paul Langford »

Not a good qualy for me I was on for 4th or 5th with my last lap and blew the last sector and ended up 8th(or 7th)

I got an Alonsoesque start and made up about 4 places by T1 but on L2 I went for a pass and went a bit wide and got a wheel on the grass just before a long straight and got passed by about 4 cars :tongue: at that point my T500 decided to loosen itself and started moving around, not by much but enough to make it very off putting as a result my pace suffered and I was running 36/7's instead of 35's which I had been running consistently in practice, not enough time to sort it out properly in the pit stop either :( so I just had to put up with it..............However it did not stop me having a good scrap with Kat, she was 16secs up the road when I exited the pits and I was catching her about 1.5secs a lap but she helped me out and span twice and I caught her a lot earlier than expected, she held me off for 2 laps until I got past, if she had not have span I would have caught her with 2 laps to go and she may well have held on to the position :kisswink: ......

I had a feeling if I got to the position behind my teamy Rik he would have let me pass, to loose more weight, but I had Risto right up my chuff on the last lap and in the last corner the rear stepped out and I had to get off the loud pedal and he got past and I got the chequered flag......

Eric, sorry about the pass as you came out of the pits, it caught me by surprise and it was more of a controlled crash than a deliberate move :love:
Image Image Image Image

Car #69 2009 TWFA CHAMPION
roman koranda
Rookie

Post by roman koranda »

Good start. I held before Bret but
I made a mistake in Lap 4. It was a chance for Bret.
I tried to keep contact, but it was not enough.
Overall, very happy.

Congratulations Risto and Bret.
Dmitriy Terekhov
International

Post by Dmitriy Terekhov »

This track was new for me, multiple chicanes caught me by surprise. Actually i still struggle with car setup and don't have any time for practice. So every race for me is like a test.
Go for Non-stop, hards and ~90l, By the end of the race rear wheels had 2 red dots left. Front has 4. Wrong setup? I don't try softs, but when Kat say that she run non-stop on softs i was shocked. Setup issue?
Go wide some times and spun once or twice... lose a lot of time on it. When Ray was behind i felt my self all right, and i think i could held him longer but made a ridiculous mistake. Used rears was slippery and Ray watched my drifting every time i accelerate in the exit of slow turns. I just tried to go faster but only lost the time.
New experience for me) Good race.
Last edited by Dmitriy Terekhov on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
When in doubt - kick the throttle!
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

Driving style most like Dimitriy, I have a looonnggg history of wearing tyres less than most people. I've non-stopped on softs in races where Grant has considered (or maybe even has) run a one-stop race on hards!!!

It's probably partially simply the fact I don't get everything out of the tyres, but also I think my driving style - when it's working - is fairly smooth.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

Kat wrote: I've non-stopped on softs in races where Grant has considered (or maybe even has) run a one-stop race on hards!!! .

Many, many times :cry:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Risto Kappet
National

Post by Risto Kappet »

Monreal had lots of low speed corners from where accellerating the V8s torque spends rear tyres more than other tracks