GP '79 @ Road America 60 min race 26th April 18:00 GMT

rFactor 2 based League - Trans World Formula 1 [ASR F1 '92]
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

GP '79 @ Road America 60 min race 26th April 18:00 GMT

Post by SteveC »

Legends League brings you Something very special this week.. We travel to the famous Road America along with the ground breaking GP79 mod that defined an era here at Legends. The most intense and thrilling battles happened with these very cars throughout the numerous season championships raced with theses beasts. We have seen champions rise, and fall. Rivalries battling on, and off track. We have seen speed, patience, cleverness, strategy and luck all win in these cars. Setup and driving technique are the most crucial aspect for these cars.

Memories will flood the minds of some our long standing members and hopefully create some fresh ones for our new ones too!
Last edited by SteveC on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Re: GP '79 @ Road America 60 min race 26th April 18:00 GMT

Post by Rouke »

New members will love/hate the mod (its not very easy to learn) but old members will love it.

Especially since i discovered our old rf1 skins actually still work with the rf2 mod!
kikko.JPG
Needless to say the resolution is now different (rf2 dds files are bigger) but so far it seems to look ok and for some of us this just adds to the joy of re-living GP79, grab your old teams skin! :allhail:
Not all skins might fit anymore, you're gonna have to experiment with it. the McLaren M29 Kikkoman skins fit like a glove!

And for those wanting something different I suggest you pick a car, find the skin and see if it works. free-for-all I say.

Below are our old skinpacks from previous championships,
What you need to do first create a new dir of the car you want to add a skin to.
Unzip in a temp folder, find the car, copy the skin, and paste it in the new rf2 dir (userdata/player/settings/GP79_CAR/new folder)
rename the skin to name_alt.dds
and now you can select it in-game.

2013 skinpack

2012 skinpack

2011 skinpack

2010 skinpack

:welcome:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
maiph
Legends Admin Team

Post by maiph »

Good work Rouke, I was wondering about this. Have been digging around for my old RF1 setups too, damn I knew I should have kept that folder...lesson there somewhere.
Image Image Image
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Nice one Rouke :clap:

Just downloading Road America now..then really looking forward to kicking a few peeps asses :violent:
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

This is the only mod that comes with a 173 page manual http://www.legends-league.com/downloads ... ual101.pdf :allhail: much useful information here!
Steeve Fournier
Novice

Post by Steeve Fournier »

2 test sessions so far and i like the mod. But i really don't know how to work the setups. Any general tips to share? Like softer or stiffer suspension, tyre pressure, etc? Thanks
Life is short, ride fast
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Yeah its weird Steeve, I can't quite work it out neither. Seems like some things are the other way around than usual - put a click on rear wing it acts like you put that click on the front wing.

The mod is pretty new to me too, but many guys here who drive this mod for 1 million years, I am pretty sure we can get a setup thread up on forum with some sample sets

All the cars are different, and have their own sets. Renault is a truly horrible car to drive but goes twice as fast as the rest if you can get it around corners. I can't help you much more than that, hopefully there will be some further advice in next day or two from the odl school members who have every setting of this mod seared in their memories :lol:
maiph
Legends Admin Team

Post by maiph »

Cthulhu is risen, announces new sponsorship deal with equipe BOUS.
GRAB_983b.jpg
however my online 'race' button is greyed out for some reason... :?: Plays ok offline but when i join server it appears not to be loading the car.

default setup is a twisted nightmare to drive. Oi Chapman, where's my bloody ground-effect?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by maiph on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

It would appear I now have no excuse not to join you this weekend, but not having used RF2 at all, please can I have help/advice setting it, and GP79 up please :)
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Good to hear from you again Kat!
The setup for RF2 will look somewhat familiar to RF1, still the same "player" directory, with a SETTINGS subdirectory where all your setups etc get stored. Easiest way to get the mod and the track are to simply join the Multiplayer mode, look for the Legends League server, it will DL the "mod" file first, then recognize to need the actual GP79 mod and the track and will ask you if you want to DL them in install them. TADA! nice, eh?
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Kat,
Also found that not only do the old Skins work but the old setups work too if you saved them.
They are a direct plugin, you can simply copy paste them into the same PLAYER/SETTINGS/TRACK folder just like in RF1
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Memories... :love:
GRAB_024.JPG
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Mike P
Club

Post by Mike P »

Hey guys it's been a long time (5 years now ...) :partygrin:

I'll be glad to join on sunday but I'm having troubles configuring my g25 in rf2, it doesn't seem to behave like rf1, it feels very light as soon as I pickup speed, can you point me to a good setup ?
BRRROOOAARRRR ....... PSSSHHHHHHHHIIITTT ®
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Collected a bunch of rf1 setups that have been used over the years. I have no idea how good they fit but its for a bunch of cars and depending on layout used, which is in the name, you could give some a try.

GP79 Setups
[the v1 folder are version 1 of the mod I think, not as advanced and heavily used as v2 in main]

There is some GP79 info in our wiki: http://legends-league.com/wiki/RFactor

Ride height (ground effect) is an important factor in this mod, as it was in real life back then. finding the correct height should enable more downforce, grip and stability.
Not sure if this is still the same with the rf2 mod of course.

There's a million tricks to explore, and I don't remember much of them, but for example increasing the rear brake disc will give more straight line speed, for qualifying, do this in the race and you will not make it to the end.
Engine's tend to heat up even more now then back in rf1. so radiator size and an efficient formation lap is now even more important (no revving, low revs/high gears and maybe even engine shut down on grid arrival (rf2 should be able to auto-start before green, test this)
Etc!

Driving style: balanced cars do come a long way but you gotta be prepared to rape the rear, let it help you making the turns, clean and smooth driving might not be the way forward. learn to kamikaze :asiangrin:
Last edited by Rouke on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Mike P wrote:Hey guys it's been a long time (5 years now ...) :partygrin:

I'll be glad to join on sunday but I'm having troubles configuring my g25 in rf2, it doesn't seem to behave like rf1, it feels very light as soon as I pickup speed, can you point me to a good setup ?
Welcome back Mike! :cheers:

Default ffb seems good in rf2, try ffb smoothing to gain some more effects, less is more I think.