TWF1 2015 Round 3 - Monza - Race Reports

rFactor 2 based League - Trans World Formula 1 [ASR F1 '92]
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

TWF1 2015 Round 3 - Monza - Race Reports

Post by SteveC »

In preparation for tonight's race.. Please post your race reports/screen shots in this thread.
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

Re: TWF1 2015 Round 3 - Monza - Race Reports

Post by Bret Metcalf »

Lost connection :mad:
maiph
Legends Admin Team

Post by maiph »

Hard to draw anything positive from my race. Qualified way down in 20th, struggling to spot some of the apexes amid the shadows. Opening laps were chaotic, got involved in numerous tussles for roadspace then had a spin of my own. Strung together 10 decent laps, clawed back up to 14th then got it wrong at Ascari and whacked the barrier, lost a wheel and a long trudge home. Missing my Formula Renault. :(
Image Image Image
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Started from pits and it was going nice, gaining some places and it looked like I could salvage some points after Q had gone a tonne better than I was expecting. Had to retire on lap 4 due to this 930 bug, game undriveable :cuss:
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

Brakes failed along with 10 other drivers. Brilliant huh.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
STATIC
Rookie

Post by STATIC »

Grant Riddall wrote:Brakes failed along with 10 other drivers. Brilliant huh.
Same here. Managed to get up to 2nd with 8 minutes left and tires to finish and felt that now all to familiar brake failure wobble. Retired right away as not to get in the way.

bummed :nodance:
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

Results, Race and Qual replays available for download here http://legends-league.com/twfr/index.ph ... le&id=1417
Steeve Fournier
Novice

Post by Steeve Fournier »

Incident report :
In T1, around lap 3-4, I overshoot my braking spot and i tap on Jef's rear. I really hope he didn't had some car damage due to that. Really sorry m8.
2 laps later, Jef attack me at ascari, which was a really bad idea IMO, we touch and I spun and lost a LOT of time. He should have wait and pass me on the next str8 as he had a lot more top speed than me. This about ruined my race, i was left with "damaged body" and i was then losing top speed. I decided to stop with 45 minutes left because i was not able to run good lap times anymore. Unfortunatly, the pit crew were not able to repair it correctly it seems, i was still lacking some of my normal top speed.

You can see the incident in many different views in my video. I think Jef should have wait to let me by after that. That's what i would have done anyway, and i know many other would've done too. I'd like your opinion on this please.

Race report :
Q: 5th, happy with matching my PB, 1:23:8xx

R: 5th , but shoulda been about 12-13 if nobody had brake failures, I made a lot of costing mistakes. The incident with Jef in the beginig was the worst, but if i had not made other ones, i may, believe it or not, have been on the podium. I finsih only 30 sec from the 1st place, that suprised me so much considering a such erratic race.

Very disapointing race with satisfying result.... is it better than a satisfying race with ordinary result?? I think not. But i'll take the point, kind of consolate my frustration.

Thanks.
Last edited by Steeve Fournier on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is short, ride fast
Steeve Fournier
Novice

Here is the video. Sorry for poor quality, as the video is quite long, i didn't want it to be too big.

First image on the left shows how i felt during the whole race! :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoclCzR7DWo

Edit: video was private, no its it public, thanks Haxxwow for telling me :thumbsup:
Last edited by Steeve Fournier on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Life is short, ride fast
Jef Vannijlen
Super

Post by Jef Vannijlen »

I remember doubting if i should Steve.
I was tempted but decided i gave u room and maybe it was racing incident.
Anyways, if ruled i am at fault , i will accept it.
--------------------
I forgot about no refuel rule and i just forgot, as simply as that, so i had to resign in 3th pos because of lack of fuel.
#79 -Jef Vannijlen - Jeeve79
Grant Riddall
Legends Admin Team

Post by Grant Riddall »

Any protests you have could you please send them to either me Bret or Steve via a pm, we will then look at any incident. Thank you.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Steeve Fournier
Novice

Grant Riddall wrote:Any protests you have could you please send them to either me Bret or Steve via a pm, we will then look at any incident. Thank you.
Sent to Bret.
Life is short, ride fast
davidporeilly
Rookie

Post by davidporeilly »

Oops
I put this in the wrong thread-sorry.
I had an eventful race.
In the formation lap I got into the sand at the 1st Lesmo (doh :(
Then I was probably unwise to try to filter through to my proper spot and collected a car that was weaving full track width between Ascari and Parabolica, so damaged and stalled. So pit lane strat with 2 others.
I got an ok start and made it to P15 but then made many errors.
Pitted at lap 15 as my tyres were quite hurt from it all.

Had a good race for position with SR4L Cookie :thumbsup:

Due to everyone brakes failing I was running P7 with 4 laps to go and one front disc went on my car.
Managed to limp around for P9 and points, unbelievable.

Notes on the brakes.
You can hurt this car. Engine as well as brakes. In another league with "time scaled" failures I broke discs at my first 3 attempts at a 60 min Interlagos and managed an engine failure.
As this league runs "normal" failures it seemed less of an issue until last night.

The brakes have an optimum range of 275-800 deg and they have a failure thickness (dont have it to hand , but wirthy of note the V 1.81 hasn't yet got this).
Monza is as we know terribly hard on brakes. Speeds are high, stops are BIG stops and you might no be aware but less aero is harder on brakes too. In my testing to get a race dist done at Interlagos I found in Motec that a bit more wing drops brake temps 20 deg or more.
Brakes
So to cut to the chase. In such an environment where brakes are on the edge you can
Lower brake pressure
Increase brake cooling
Move you brake markers a bit longer
Add some wing.
Dont move bias when you get tyre wear (moving it rearwards was part of my Interlagos issue) it will increase temps at that end.

Engine
It can fail too, you need to watch your upshifts and your temps (no issue at Monza even at 29 deg and Rad 1.
Max safe oil temp is 110 deg, any time above that will lower engine serviceable life.
Max safe revs is 14200 but max power is 14,332. Any time over reving will cost you engine life.
So you add the temps andthe revs and it will lower life.
Designed engine life is 1hr 26 mins. So you can see with a 60 min race thete is a little buffer but abuse it and you wont bring it home. BTW I set a shift light in Dashmeter Pro at 14,500 as in the mod its fixed at 15,000.

Now you might take the view that "this sucks"
I however take the view that this season just got a whole lot more interesting.
:welcome:
Last edited by davidporeilly on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roberto
Rookie

Post by Roberto »

Formation Lap:
I had a bad feeling about this race when on the Formation Lap I accidentally bumped Ray in the first tight chicane. (Variante) Then, further up on the same lap between Ascari and Parabolica, a driver all of a sudden came flying up and hit me on my right-rear quarter and put me in the wall. I had double checked my mirrors before that and saw no drivers near me so I completed one weave to feel if I had damage from bumping Ray earlier. Afterwards, I at first thought a car was returning to their position but then I didn't remember seeing any cars I had passed earlier and was careful about staying in my grid position.

I didn't mean to ruin anybody else's race. It was an accident. rF2 won't let you see any further than a couple car's length or I would have seen them in time.

Race:
The race started OK. No problems driving thru the first tight chicanes. On my second lap, I was in front of another driver (datamode,whom I didn't think was in these races) coming up to the Ascari chicanes. When I turned left into it, I saw a driver turning right into my path and caused me to lose momentum. I tried to continue on racing but now I have a group of drivers right behind me and I'm thinking they are on both sides trying to pass me as I'm approaching the Parabolica curve. I try to stay my course driving straight hoping I'm not being set up for a wreck but all of a sudden I'm being thrown into the wall. I try to continue race but car too damaged. Race over!

I watched the replay and saw that the same driver who pulled out in front of me is the same one who wrecked me. When I approached the Parabolica curve, I was unable to see what was going on beside me. The car's mirrors don't work and the virtual mirror only shows what's behind me. A driver in those types of situations kinda depends on the other drivers behind them not to set them up for wrecking. A little patience would have rewarded that driver with passing me on the next straight if only they just have stayed behind me as I approached the curve. As the rule goes, I have the curve if I get there first.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Last edited by Roberto on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidporeilly
Rookie

Post by davidporeilly »

Roberto wrote:Formation Lap:
I had a bad feeling about this race when on the Formation Lap I accidentally bumped Ray in the first tight chicane. (Variante) Then, further up on the same lap between Ascari and Parabolica, a driver all of a sudden came flying up and hit me on my right-rear quarter and put me in the wall. I had double checked my mirrors before that and saw no drivers near me so I completed one weave to feel if I had damage from bumping Ray earlier. Afterwards, I at first thought a car was returning to their position but then I didn't remember seeing any cars I had passed earlier and was careful about staying in my grid position.

I didn't mean to ruin anybody else's race. It was an accident. rF2 won't let you see any further than a couple car's length or I would have seen them in time.

Race:
The race started OK. No problems driving thru the first tight chicanes. On my second lap, I was in front of another driver (datamode,whom I didn't think was in these races) coming up to the Ascari chicanes. When I turned left into it, I saw a driver turning right into my path and caused me to lose momentum. I tried to continue on racing but now I have a group of drivers right behind me and I'm thinking they are on both sides trying to pass me as I'm approaching the Parabolica curve. I try to stay my course driving straight hoping I'm not being set up for a wreck but all of a sudden I'm being thrown into the wall. I try to continue race but car too damaged. Race over!

I watched the replay and saw that the same driver who pulled out in front of me is the same one who wrecked me. When I approached the Parabolica curve, I was unable to see what was going on beside me. The car's mirrors don't work and the virtual mirror only shows what's behind me. A driver in those types of situations kinda depends on the other drivers behind them not to set them up for wrecking. A little patience would have rewarded that driver with passing me on the next straight if only they just have stayed behind me as I approached the curve. As the rule goes, I have the curve if I get there first.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Roberto,
I was the driver that hit you on the formation lap.
As my report indicates I accept that it might not have been wise to attempt to regain my position after beaching the car at the first Lesmo. I dont know if there is guidance on this or not. I was doing it as carefully as possible and passed a couple of cars.
When I arrived at your car everyone was slowing ahead for the parabolica, you had made a couple of big weaves and returned to the middle of the track and held steady for a moment, then you weaved right again into the spot I was aiming for. Total of 3 moves across the track. So I am sorry for my contribution to this contact but feel that weaving in a deceleration zone a little unpredictably did contribute a little.

While I was checking my facts on the replay I took the time to look at your off on lap 1 (same spot).
You are 3 wide as you state but Martin Bulgin had pulled alongside to the left with 100% overlap. I checked the overhead,You moved across into him. I was not involved.
Then separately a driver moved right across into me and I hit the wall.

Sincerely
David