Constant virus warning from Legends forum

Hardware, Software, Internet, Email, Security, OS, Simulations, Etc.
Frank Oreskov
Super

Constant virus warning from Legends forum

Post by Frank Oreskov »

Every single time I now open a page on the forum Kaspersky gives a warning of a trojan virus. Not sure if it's real but it's not nice seeing red warning windows every time I load a page here.

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Re: Constant virus warning from Legends forum

Post by Rouke »

Hi Frank, please completely re-install windows....no wait.... :clown:

I had removed Tapatalk completely but apparently i left a line of code in one of the pages, Rik was kind enough to trace it for me, i've now removed it and i think you will not be getting those warnings anymore.
If you do, it might be the cache in your browser loading old data so that would be the first thing now to check if you still get this stuff.

Lemmi know if it worked please.
Last edited by Rouke on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Frank Oreskov
Super

Post by Frank Oreskov »

Ok after clearing the cache and everything else IE related there's no warning from tapatalk, but I see there was a 2nd file before that and it's still there giving a "heur" trojan warning, but can there really be a virus in a picture?

Frank

P.S. Very funny about the windows reinstall :tongue: It did still clean up a lot of other junk and mistaken file cleanups that had bogged down the startup/shutdown speed so it wasn't a total loss.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

Ok thats realy wierd, nothing has changed in months and all of a sudden you get this.....
Last edited by Rouke on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Oreskov
Super

Post by Frank Oreskov »

Must be Kaspersky's latest database that's just giving a false warning, except if we've been hacked since I just remembered some warnings in the past that they're now using other files than .exe to access computers. In any case it's annoying to get two warning signs and sounds every time I open the page (one says there's a virus, the next that it's blocked it successfully).

Thanks for checking it for me though, sorry if it was a goosechase.

Frank
Image Image
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

I have got the same problem with KIS 2013 warning me of a Trojan Script Generic every time I open any and every Legends Forum page. This just started happening today. The Snagit screen shot file attached of the Kaspersky threat details, cannot post the image without loading the PNG fiel to an internet gallery site which I do not want to do. Would be good if you could just paste an image from a file on your PC in here.

As I say it only started today do something that has been added since yesterday has caused this unless it is the daily KIS virus database update that has detected it either falsely or for real. It points to a Mini_Icon_Home.gif so that should narrow it down a lot I trust. At least KIS in its efficient way has blocked it and does so every time. I really rate Kaspersky highly as would much rather it be too thorough than not.

Incidentally I do not have Tapatalk installed and neither do I want or need it to be honest, so it obviously has nothing to do with that.
Last edited by Ray Walton on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

Ray, that GIF file doesn't even exist on the Legends server :? . It's an optional part of the phpBB forum template that allows for a site-specific icon next to the "Main Website" link at the top of this page. If, as with us, we haven't created such an icon then it simply displays an asterisk (*) instead. I've no idea why Kaspersky should consider a non-existent file to be a threat! (ditto the tapatalk javascript file that Frank originally complained about which also didn't exist)

I suggest you submit it to Kaspersky as it would appear to be a false positive. I don't think we should be altering standard templates just because an AV product decides to throw a wobbly! Obviously if Kaspersky come back saying it is a real threat we'll act.

Alternatively maybe someone wants to create a 'main website' icon for us :)
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Thanks Rik for that info mate, as always a fountain of knowledge :)

Funny though as it has only started doing this just today, so if as it seems a false positive then it has to be a result of the latest Kaspersky update either to the software or the virus database. Must say from review tests it seems that Kaspersky is one of the very best for not reporting many false positives. I will certainly report this to them and see what they say.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Caretaker MD
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

I've quickly created an actual icon for this one, not the best looker but it will do for now. See what yer obsessive scanner says now :upsidedown:
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

No problem now Rouke. I do not see this so called new icon and never saw any asterisk before I have to say so where do I look for it ??? I use Google Chrome browser BTW in Win 8. Will advise Kaspersky that problem now fixed this way as they wanted a full URL link to check it out but now they wont get it of course.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Caretaker MD
Rouke
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rouke »

The icon is on the very top of the forum on the right left of the Main Website-link. it used to be an empty space forced by the asterisk, now its an icon.

They can still see what happened though, doesn't take much emagination to get what the issue was, i'm sure they will figure it out even with the icon, otherwise point them to this thread.
If they need to reproduce the problem i can remove it for them no problem.

Tapatalk and icon where two seperate issues btw.
Last edited by Rouke on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Frank Oreskov
Super

Post by Frank Oreskov »

Everything's working perfectly now, thank you very muchRouke :cheers:
Image Image
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Yes Rouke I have explained it to them and posted extracts form this thread too.

Okay I see the icon now so thanks for pointing it out. I never realised it was not there before. Too small to even see what it is supposed to be :o

Much appreciate your quality dedicated work mate
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Caretaker MD