GT3 Blancpain series

iRacing general discussions
MarkF
Super

GT3 Blancpain series

Post by MarkF »

Just had a race at Brands in my Z4, Fri night at 9pm BST and I was in the top split :o I had qualified so was 10th on the grid with a rolling start, another first, lost a few places on the start, don't really understand the rules for rolling starts yet and rushing into Paddock bend was a bit of a nervous experience.

But got settled down, blimey only practised in the afternoon and a few laps the previous day, this was intense, nose to tail for the entire race, cocked up Graham Hill bend with 2 laps to go and lost 2 places. it was very close racing and the slightest error resulted in losing a place.

95 points in my first ever race in the GT3s well chuffed.
Regards

Mark
Baz West
Super

Re: GT3 Blancpain series

Post by Baz West »

Nice one Mark, I had a bash in the Z4 practising for the endurance felt good.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Whoops, just had the top spilt in a 4 split session, I was number 24 out of 25, all I had to do for some decent points and an IR jump was finish, but nope I had to cut across hitting another car which was on the inside killing us both. What a noob mistake, kicking myself now as I love Monza.

Baz you doing the endurance at Monza?
Regards

Mark
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

Not checked it out. Endurance sounds like hard work, how many laps?
]
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Baz West wrote:Not checked it out. Endurance sounds like hard work, how many laps?
]
Ah, you once practiced not currently though, gotcha, its 3 hours, I think I need to have a few more races, this is a completely different mindset and to be fair so far the driving has been very clean.
Regards

Mark
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

I am rather enjoying being able to race when it is convenient to me, did a 1700 race yesterday, top split and 113 points in the bag, SOF seems a bit lower than the Lotus races though, so after my crash on lap 3 previous race which cost me 60 odd IR I clawed back 50 odd.
Regards

Mark
Paul Langford
Super

Post by Paul Langford »

Awsome Mark

I have been driving the RUF, I have all the GT3 cars but prefer the slidy rear of the 911

:)
Image Image Image Image

Car #69 2009 TWFA CHAMPION
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Paul Langford wrote:Awsome Mark

I have been driving the RUF, I have all the GT3 cars but prefer the slidy rear of the 911

:)
Haven't really tried the RUF, I have them all too, but that is the collector in me :byehi:

After all the bad reports I read I am impressed, maybe because the 3 races I did have been top split, quite amazing as some for 4 way splits, but its fun so far. I think as long as I do not get too serious it will remain fun too, look out for me in practice....

You going to Blancpain at Brands on Sunday? Your part of the country?

May go on the bike if I do not have too much alcohol Saturday night (Birthday Party.)
Last edited by MarkF on Fri May 08, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards

Mark
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

Did a few laps at Spa tonight in the Z4 felt nice to drive but I was way off the limit 2.21.3xx seemed slow when the fastest were doing 2.16s car seems pretty complicated to set up though.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Baz try the BMW forum and grab Tim Olsens setups, they are pretty well balanced with inherent understeer as befits a front engined saloon, I did a few laps yesterday with race fuel and into the low 2:20's, those 16's are very fast guys, more aliens in this series.

I am expecting race pace to be around 2:19/20 in general dropping off as this cars gets very slippery in the last few laps.
Regards

Mark
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

Yes that's the one I tried the first one in the Spa thread. Driving to much like the L79 and not attacking enough and giving curbs too much respect :)
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Its a very good setup, you can use the throttle to balance the car too and even slide it if it all gets out of shape, the secret is 6th and flat through Eau Rouge then as you say taking some kerb too, use the turn in to the apex to lose speed too.
Regards

Mark