Rolex Daytona

All other Legends League related discussion
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Rolex Daytona

Post by Rick Stratton »

Not sure if you guys abroad are seeing the Rolex 24 on the tube or not. If not, you could try foxsports.com/motors for some strwaming content.

One of my favorite races, for several reasons. I regret not running this as an endure event in RF1, I had the WSC1970 mod 'modded' to equalize out the cars, giving all the makes a decent chance to win. Just didn't get around to getting it on the schedule. If we get Daytona in rF2 [which I understand is already being worked on by private modders] and a good enduro mod [hopefully someone will port over WSC70!] I will make sure we run it.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
MarkF
Super

Re: Rolex Daytona

Post by MarkF »

Bloody scary crash there too :(
Regards

Mark
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

yeah, happened only a few hours into the race. I missed it live, but saw the immediate aftermath and could see it was bad. They did not show a replay until this morning after they were reasonably confident neither driver was killed. Seeing it now, I can see why they chose to hold off - very frightening. :o
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

IMSA statement about an hour ago:

"Memo Gidley, underwent surgical procedures on both his left arm and left leg at Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, Florida. Gidley also has an unstable fracture in his back which will require additional surgery before he can be released from the hospital.

"Matteo Malucelli, remained at Halifax Health overnight for further evaluation. He continues to rest comfortably. An update on his condition will be provided later today."

Under the circumstances I would consider this to be good news, VERY good news.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Frank Oreskov
Super

Post by Frank Oreskov »

I just created a calender of the races I wanted to see/follow this year (WEC, Super GT, F1 (only because of Mini-Mag) and USC) and didn't even know they'd already had the first race yet, luckily the new USC series follows ALMS with having the races on their website free of charge (very nice when no-one over here show it). I've only just started watching it and haven't seen the serious accident yet, is there any news on the drivers condition? Especially after Allan Simonsen's death last year at Le Mans I can understand not wanting to show replays of a serious accident. Speaking of which, one of the Viper GTS-R LMGT's had a Allan Simonsen memorial sticker on the side of the instrumentpanel seen from the in-car driver-cam, very nice gesture.

Having raced the Daytona Road Course in Gran Turismo 6 (also at "night" if you can call it that with all the spotlights) then I have to say this is probably my favourite Oval Road Course (better in my opinion than Indy) and I'd love a race on this track if there was a good one, and fitting cars. Kind of La Sarthe-like with the long stretches and then some technical corners but especially for an endurance race that's also good, gives you some time to wiggle your toes and relax down the straight (comment from Tom Kristensen I think).

I must also say the new GTE/LMGT C7.R looks great! Really elegant yet strong and I love that interior with the radar rear-view-cam, can't wait to try it in Assetto Corsa (it was just announced a few days ago)!
Image Image