TWFM Championship-Round 1-Lime Rock Park-Chicane

iRacing based League - Trans-World Radical Racing
Bret Metcalf
Legends Admin Team

TWFM Championship-Round 1-Lime Rock Park-Chicane

Post by Bret Metcalf »

The new TWFM (Mazda) season gets under way with Round 1 at Lime Rock Park-Chicane on Sunday 29th May racing the Mazda MX5. This championship is open to non-Legends members and there will be NO PASSWORD

Announcement Here

Good Luck Everyone :)
Last edited by Bret Metcalf on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salvatore
Super

Re: TWFM Championship-Round 1-Lime Rock Park-Chicane

Post by Salvatore »

Oh Bret you are a traitor lol ( i am joking) I would love to see the iracing guys join us free of charge in rfactor like the old times ( hey I have improved!! lol )
"I don't have any fear of a crash.No fear of that.But if its near the end of practice,and you're trying for pole position maybe,I guess you can squeeze the fear "-Gilles Villeneuve
"From my father more then the passion and love for motor racing,I inherited the madness!!"-Jacques Villeneuve
"Gilles was the last great driver.The rest of us are just a bunch of good professionals."-Alain Prost
"I think there's real genius in his car control."-Jackie Stewart

Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

Salvatore wrote:Oh Bret you are a traitor lol ( i am joking) I would love to see the iracing guys join us free of charge in rfactor like the old times ( hey I have improved!! lol )
Last time I checked the T7 server wasn't free of charge ;)
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps
David Pym
Super

Post by David Pym »

Come on guys..... There's enough space for all... Lets not start fighting over who is best. Right?

Anyway, we know who is best... :outta:
Last edited by David Pym on Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Pym

Ex-driver. Now miserable sod.
Footloose and Fancy Free... Now available for Bar Mitzvahs and Weddings.

Image Image Image Image Image
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

DavidK just to put the record straight the T7 server time we have is donated to us and is not charged for. We as a league raise money by voluntary donations and make a voluntary donation to the T7 server farm owners to help with their costs and as a big thank you for their excellent server which we have a lot of use of. I reiterate though the T7 server is in true fact donated to us free of charge.

Okay having said that Sal, I will say in return then why do you not join us in iRacing too, it is the nearest sim to state of the art at this time and is NOT expensive either these days. Gives excellent racing, certainly the most authentic and accurate physics wise and track wise, and is self policing to a large extent, all we need for our league is bigger hosted iRacing fields to make it really rock. I wont knock rFactor either as it is a truly superb and classic sim especially with amazing long lived mods like the GP79 one and several others too. Although it still gives great racing, it is hardly surprising that it is now a little old in the tooth but that will be put right in the not too distant future when rF 2 arrives. So until then for me iRacing is the bees knees and I am sure will be every bit as good as rF2 when it arrives especially with what they are calling iRacing2 arriving this August with some exciting advancements. All great news for us sim racing petrol heads :D

Having said all that as you know Sal I hardly race at all these days finding it all a bit too much for an old git :oldgit: :roll: Once again hope you had a good birthday last week my old friend.
Last edited by Ray Walton on Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

Ray Walton wrote:most authentic and accurate physics wise
*wonders if Ray has a preview of the NTM or something*

There is NO WAY you can say that right now Ray, with the current Tyre model the Physics model is no better than iRacing. Both have pluses and minuses but in fact I'd say rFactor overall is probably slightly more realistic because the tyres seem to work slightly more realistically (not saying they're perfect, they're not). Any sim which has a fudged tyre model ( which iRacing DOES have right now ) cannot be Authentic OR Accurate.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

I can indeed say that Kat and will as it is also the widely held view of serious reviewers worldwide and at least is the most authentic racing sim available right now for sure and used by many real life drivers for as near to life practice as they can get until they get to the track for real. It is the leader in sim racing today 100% for sure, fact not opinion, and that is not being derogatory of rFactor which is of course some years older or in fact many years older when you consider iRacing is updated every 3 months unlike rFactor. Sure we all know about the tyre modelling and we have lived without it for all these years and still had pretty realistic feeling and great sim racing, but even now iR has that real tyre physics modelled in to some of its cars already and in August they will have it in all cars apparently. So until rF2 arrives it will be so many miles ahead of anything else out there. Tyre modelling will just push it even closer to absolute realism which ultimately cannot be achieved of course without real seat of the pants feedback.

Kat, I have now over 20 years sim racing experience so if I am talking out of my ass it must be old age and senility. I was always in the past was at or near the sim racing leading edge, having all the latest FFB devices and graphics cards and software etc and that was true until more recent years when limited money and other interests to feed have meant staying just a little behind now. Although I sim race very little now I can say that I did not change fully to iRacing a couple of years ago just on a whim, I actually never do that as not in my engineering background nature. It was simply because it was quite clearly and understandably better than the rest of the racing sims available at the time and a generation ahead of my past classic favourite rFactor. Thanks to Kaemmer and of course iR being unavoidably more up to date and more in step with modern technology in PC hardware. You have to still give credit too though to ISI as rFactor was indeed a long way ahead of it's time when it first came out but it has not been upgraded for along long time. Sure I look forward very much, as we all do, to rF2 but I still do not truly expect it to be ahead of iRacing though certainly I believe it will be a very valid close competitor or even on a level playing field at least until iRacing's 4 times a year upgrades will again put it ahead of rF once again. One of the advantages of subscription racing is this very fact that the company marketing it will always keep it at the leading edge of course or they would lose subscribers and not survive, that is obvious common sense. New rFactor2 mods will of course go a little way to keeping it moving ahead ut the basic iR code will continue it's relentless regular development of course as well as also new cars and tracks too.

Main thing is it is all of us who are the winners are we get to have at least two brilliant state-of-the-art racing sims available. There are others out there too who want a slice of the action and are working hard as well, just wait and see what CodeMaster bring out with F1 2011 as quite honestly F1 2010 with its bug fix upgrade was none too shabby either apart from crap on-line, and of course many rave about NKR too. As still a serious sim racing lover I am more than happy right now as we have never had it so good. :D

Now back to the thread topic. I look forward to this 8 round championship and will try and compete in as many as I can though will not be at home for the first round this coming Sunday as will be away some 35 Kms away on a bike racing photography job. Anyway I sincerely hope it has a good turnout and you all have a great time in these fun great to drive MX5's.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Salvatore
Super

Post by Salvatore »

Ray Walton wrote: Okay having said that Sal, I will say in return then why do you not join us in iRacing too

Having said all that as you know Sal I hardly race at all these days finding it all a bit too much for an old git :oldgit: :roll: Once again hope you had a good birthday last week my old friend.
Lol I came here to kidnap ppl and I got kidnapped :cheesy:
Many Thanks for invitation Ray I really appreciate buddy, but I dont have time left to race Iracing at least for now.. who knows in the future?

You are not an old git at all cause racing and music keeps ppl young (look at me LOL)
enjoy riding your custom byke matey thats a good thing I always enjoied the wind on my face :halm:
Thank you for the bday wishes yes I had good time with my mates down the pub hehe

I wish one day all LL memebers gather into a pub and start making more noise then a V12! :cheesy: :thumbsup: :banana:
"I don't have any fear of a crash.No fear of that.But if its near the end of practice,and you're trying for pole position maybe,I guess you can squeeze the fear "-Gilles Villeneuve
"From my father more then the passion and love for motor racing,I inherited the madness!!"-Jacques Villeneuve
"Gilles was the last great driver.The rest of us are just a bunch of good professionals."-Alain Prost
"I think there's real genius in his car control."-Jackie Stewart

Reino Tanni
Rookie

Post by Reino Tanni »

I also registered. Let´s see on the track.
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

Results; to annoyed to speak about it atm, probably same as Ben. :(

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/m ... id=3574604

Grats Rik. :halm: and Reino
Last edited by Dave Kadlčák on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

Bad luck there Baz :(

I went with the Cup car because although the Roadster was definitely quicker I just couldn't consistently judge the chicane-of-doom from the right hand seat. Was paying more attention to the end of the Indy 500 during qual so didn't get a great lap in and started from 4th. Got past Ben off the line and then up to 2nd when Benny went of at the start of lap 2. Followed Leo for a few laps but he cut the chicane so had to slow down and give up the lead. Ben was closing fast be he also cut the chicane before being able to challenge and he must have made some more mistakes as he fell back a bit. Both Leo & Ben quit after a while and it was boring to the end after that.
Leo
Super

Post by Leo »

Yep, sorry to give up so soon. I missed T-last when following you and Ben (with Baz following me). Sometimes the car understeers straight off there and I hit the fence. Reset, waited a minute for towing and repairs, apparently exited the pits in the wrong way and got a stop and go penalty. Didn't quite know what procedure to follow, so I entered the pits, stopped at my booth expecting to see the red lollypop lifted immediately but that didn't happen. Instead, my helpful mechanics set to work renewing the already new tyres and no doubt topping up the fuel as well - but this time they took much longer: over a minute, then the penalty was served (one second). Rejoined again, several laps behind, only to find that I had a ship load of fuel on board. I definitely remember having set the fuel to be added to zero before the start, so iRacing apparently haven't solved this annoying problem. The other annoying problem is that I don't know how to serve a stop and go penalty...

Anyway, continuing this way seemed pointless so I parked the car. I'm not too crazy about the MX5, loathe this chicane track, and my LF tyre wouldn't have lasted the whole race anyway. I don't know how you guys (especially Rik and Ben) do it, but I find the MX5 horribly understeering and don't know how to cure it.

I hung on to watch the battle between Baz and Steven, livened up by a certain Cem who was 6 laps down but a tad quicker on his fresh tyres (because of a reset after he picked a fight with Ben who was lapping him). Nice fight though. Then Steven suddenly disappeared (disco?) and Cem ended up rear-ending Baz in the chicane, robbing him of a certain 2nd place finish. Baz and Ben have a right to grumble, but on the other hand we shouldn't be too surprised of these things happening when letting in inexperienced drivers to increase the numbers.
LIFE IS RACING, THE REST IS WAITING
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

@Leo You probably cross the line on the track after pit exit ( F1 Style ) which is easy done at LRP. As for the fuel, after your reset it sets everything to fill at the next stop. Thus when you stopped to serve the penalty it serviced you too.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Paul Langford
Super

Post by Paul Langford »

bugger gutted I missed this one I was running 1m dead around here with an opt of 59.5xx.....could have done very well, but had to do the TWF1 as I'm still running a team champ even though I have missed a few races so nowhere in the title fight....I will also miss the race in 2 weeks time for the final round

Ahhhh just realized it was the chicane layout......I thought that was weird being 1.5secs faster than Rik....ahh well :roll: :D
Image Image Image Image

Car #69 2009 TWFA CHAMPION
Reino Tanni
Rookie

Post by Reino Tanni »

Well, lucky me i guess. Happy with the result. But i saw that triple battle where Cem challenged two drivers. One was Barry i think. It lasted a long time. I don´t think Cem is inexperienced, he thought it´s just a practice race or something, so he challenged them. Maybe you guys should have told him something like: "This is a championship race", during the racing.