Fixing distorted virtual mirrors

rFactor general discussions
villes
Provisional

Fixing distorted virtual mirrors

Post by villes »

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but yesterday during the club race someone said he was interested. With GP79, my virtual mirrors look scaled and I can't really judge the distance of cars behind me. The solution is to replace the mirror.bmp file that every car in rFactor has. To do this:
  • open Paint
  • go to Image > Attributes
  • change the image size to 2048x128 pixels
  • save it as mirror.bmp
  • move it to rFactor/GameData/Vehicles (because that's where 79common.mas is located)
It will mess up your regular mirrors though (which can be fixed too but require a lot more work).
Jos Swarthoff
Club

Re: Fixing distorted virtual mirrors

Post by Jos Swarthoff »

I don't have any mirror.bmp in my rfactor folder. :S

also, how do I turn off my real mirrors while keeping on my virtual, they seem connected...
Last edited by Jos Swarthoff on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
villes
Provisional

Post by villes »

I don't know if you can turn off the real mirrors. And you had to move the mirror.bmp file to rFactor/GameData/Vehicles. There's no mirror.bmp there before you move it there (it's actually in 79common.mas).
Frank Oreskov
Super

Post by Frank Oreskov »

Thank you very much for sharing the info on how to fix the virtual mirrors, that helped a lot :)

Frank
Image Image
Chris Goetz
Rookie

Post by Chris Goetz »

Thanks that helped to judge distance in the mirror and provides for much more safety.
Still a little off my actual FOV though.

However after following this tutorial there's a problem with Paint... now:

When a smaller picture was inserted and saved, it was saved with its original measurements. Now there's these measurements forced (2048x128 or if you put it on standard 960x540). Which means I get a huge white frame around the right and/or bottom side.

Please someone tell me how to change Paint's settings back to original, so the size fits the inserted picture automatically when saving it.

Thanks!

EDIT:
As a temporary workaround, pressing "Cutting" under "Image" removes the white background.
Last edited by Chris Goetz on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.