cant get the game to stop stuttering!!

iRacing general discussions
Steve Shelley
Super

cant get the game to stop stuttering!!

Post by Steve Shelley »

no matter what i do i only get 50fps in the test it started on 1024x768x32 and i changed it down to 800x still the same. ive turned off all the filters in game and on desktop (anti-analising and so on) took off virtual mirrors.

updated graphic drivers and downloaded dual layer optimiser (for the athlon chip)

still the same

any ideas?

ive got

amd athlon 3700
3 gig ram
256 nvidia 8600gts
tonyrickard
Club

Post by tonyrickard »

Is it limiting to 51 fps (I seem to recall this as a default)?

If you open up advanced settings you can change this.

Personally I recommend vsync and triple buffering (unless anyone has sli).

Fiddle with detail settings until you can get a solid 60 fps and it will be smooth.

I find with vsync off even getting 100fps+ it can still appear to stutter which I guess is tearing.

Cheers
Tony
Steve Shelley
Super

Post by Steve Shelley »

tonyrickard wrote:Is it limiting to 51 fps (I seem to recall this as a default)?

If you open up advanced settings you can change this.

Personally I recommend vsync and triple buffering (unless anyone has sli).

Fiddle with detail settings until you can get a solid 60 fps and it will be smooth.

I find with vsync off even getting 100fps+ it can still appear to stutter which I guess is tearing.

Cheers
Tony
ive put the limit to 107fps and ive turned everything off and still its stuttering at 60fps in test.

that cant be right can it?
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

Try altering the video card memory slider. According to this thread it should be at least 50 meg less than your card's actual video memory. Try reducing it a little or, if it is already much lower than 50mb less then try increasing it!

nb: you need to quit the test session & restart to see the changes in graphics options. Just thought I would mention that in case you are sitting in the same session and wondering why nothing changes... :P
Steve Shelley
Super

Post by Steve Shelley »

Rik Walker wrote:Try altering the video card memory slider. According to this thread it should be at least 50 meg less than your card's actual video memory. Try reducing it a little or, if it is already much lower than 50mb less then try increasing it!

nb: you need to quit the test session & restart to see the changes in graphics options. Just thought I would mention that in case you are sitting in the same session and wondering why nothing changes... :P
yeah i saw that thread i think ill drop it by 75meg and see if thats works its strange because it stutters at 63fps just as im comming out of the lime rock pits. then round the first turn.

i knew about the quitting bit i was running 2 pc's at the same time (one on the forum and one in game)

id love the game if i could get the damn thing to run properly
tonyrickard
Club

Post by tonyrickard »

Have you tried vsync on and triple buffering, seems to be the best option for many.

Cheers
Tony
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

Not sure there is much point with vsync unless you can maintain greater than 60fps (or whatever your monitor refreshes at). Triple buffering helps if the fps drops below 60fps but only to the extent of making the sudden fps drop be to 'just' 40 instead of 30. I've always been a bit suspicious of triple buffering introducing an element of display lag so have avoided it to date and made absolutely sure that my raw fps is well above 60 so it is never needed anyway.

Definitely worth a try though - if all else fails :wink:
Steve Shelley
Super

Post by Steve Shelley »

now im getting 200fps but its still stuttering then drops to 160 or 150 this is barmy that shouldnt happen now?

it couldnt be my net connection could it?
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

With that fps, definitely try vsync - you should then have a steady 60fps (well, it says 59 in my case). If you are still getting stuttering then it is something else at play - make sure that you haven't got any crap running in the background.
Michael Hausknecht
Rookie

Post by Michael Hausknecht »

I suffered badly with stutter until I reduced my video memory as Rik has suggested and limited the fps to 80. I could get over 100fps most of the time but the stuttering was really annoying. Since I went to max of 80, no more stuttering. Also, no shadows, steering wheel, or real mirrors. IRacing is very cpu demanding and if we want the kind of performance (fps and eye candy) we're accustomed to with RFactor, a dual core cpu is essential.
regards, michael
MarioW
Super

Post by MarioW »

I had some stutters also until i eneabled the auto limit thing, then it was solid a 60fps and didnt stutter.
Ciao Mario ಠ_ಠ
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Checking "Uncompressed Textures", does that make it easier on the GFX card as it surely has less to do with texture not being compressed?? I think that it depends on how much memory on you card, as I have 512MB it should be okay I reckon. Anyone ?? Will test it and see as I need more frames so I can Vsync and stop the odd tearing I get.

Reduced my Graphic Memory usage down to 450MB as recommended, hm maybe should be 462 MB <g> In a race my FPS drops down to mid 50s at times but mainly in low 70s/high 60s

Hope you have it sorted soon Steve as look forward to meeting you on track. It is a good tip not to race as your safety rating only goes down :lol: (or at least mine did and now slooowly rising back up to 2.53). Trouble is the other buggers who do not take the advice to drive slowly especially on cold tyres and take you out by ramming you :evil: I have had several self inflicted offs but never yet rammed anyone up the rear. Maybe running TimeTrials is the way to get my rating up as no other cars on track I think.... hmm or are there?? Must give it a try.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Steve Shelley
Super

Post by Steve Shelley »

right done all that has been mentioned and its still stuttering its goto be the graphic's card 256 must be to little for it to handle this game.:(

ive shut down everything in the background still no better:(:(

im getting a new card i think
Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

I have stuttering after I adjust the sound level with the keyboard key, it takes ages and the stuttering doesn't go until the sound has reached its adjusted level. There is a thread by Alison Hine somewhere in the forum relating to sound issues causing stuttering.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
Steve Shelley
Super

Post by Steve Shelley »

Baz wrote:I have stuttering after I adjust the sound level with the keyboard key, it takes ages and the stuttering doesn't go until the sound has reached its adjusted level. There is a thread by Alison Hine somewhere in the forum relating to sound issues causing stuttering.
im not sure what you mean mate are you on about the thread where you change the ini file?

tbf i now thing its either my sound card or graphic card its goto be either of them but i doubt its the graphic card

what graphic cards do you guy's use?