iRacing general discussions

iRacing general discussions
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Re: iRacing general discussions

Post by Ray Walton »

Rik I follow and understand you completely as I normally do mate. Yes I remember now it was two wheels on the tarmac and when we worked together at the head of HQ soem years ago now we did both agree on this ruling for good reason, though the ruling was not as punitive as in iRacing. My mistake I thought it was 4 wheels off which of course would have been well exploited by those that will do anything to gain an advantage.

I still stand by the x0 penalty for just two wheels off in iRacing, as this is not or is rarely a safety issue and thus should not impact your SR. It could also be balanced out by even making it a X2 for all 4 wheels off the track or maybe instead making higher penalties for the definite safety issue incidents involving loss of control and particularly for contacts (though we still have to feel sorry for those unlucky enough to be the frequent target of other folks bad driving). So should be no need to raise the CPI for promotion and in fact that could make it better with less dangerous drivers getting promoted. Having X0 for two wheels too far off track is, as I keep saying, anyway penalty enough as it invalidates a Q lap, TT lap and fastest race laps too. Maybe another chance to stop the deliberate consistent use of apex cutting on every lap by the fast boys is to make it say a x0.25 incident instead of x0, that would I feel be acceptable to folk like me who try hard to primarily drive safely but obviously also want to try to keep up with at least the other back-markers or mid fielders, and yet it would still give a some punishment to those exploiting such an easing of the current off track incident points. Still prefer the x0 though and with higher more cruel kerbing as the deterrent for deliberate exploitation.

It can be done I feel more fairly and realistically without making it complicated either, just needs the will to do it. What we do not want is dangerous drivers, however fast they are, getting promoted and the SR is or should be designed to do just that. But I repeat two wheels (or centre of car line) over the kerbing is not IMHO dangerous driving normally and with higher kerbs it would even slow you down too defeating the point of deliberate exploitation. Seems sensible and logical to me too
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

Rik has an interesting point about curb exits.. and there's definitely a case there for extending the 'no incident' zone. It would allow cleaner exits from corners and wouldn't increase lap times particularly. It wouldn't be hard to add a 'must have 3 tyres on curb/tarmac' to the rule.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

Y'all should get 1x's every time you touch a curb! :P Real man don't use curbs :twisted:
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps
Georg
International

Post by Georg »

Baz West wrote:Ran that last season in the endurance racing Georg. Its better now with the NTM?

Running the Radical now, it's so much better with the NTM.
Can't really comment on the NTM Baz. I don't feel much of a difference, not sure if it's because it's a fixed setup series or if I'm not good enough.

What I noticed: At the Milwaukee Indycar oval race (also fixed setup) my spotter notified me for the first time that my RF was wearing out with 15 or so to go. After the race my RF was down to 1%.

Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Yeh sure David, tell that to the worlds true top drivers like Hamilton, Alonso, Vetel and Button etc. If you don;t want drivers to even touch the kerbs then make them higher and more punishing if you have to. TO me 2 wheels off X0 incident (therefore invalid Q or TT lap), 4 wheels off X1 incident. X5 incident for contact to compensate and punish the real dangerous driving incidents.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Antonio Wojahn
Super

Post by Antonio Wojahn »

Just for the record, I'm pretty happy with the legends rule. It's a challenge sometimes (Oldring...), but I feel that when I hit the apex correctly, it's also fast. With iracing and the incident-system, it sometimes felt nagging, because they police your license for every misstep- which is their policy, but somehow feels a bit too nitpicky to me. But Rik said it, if it would result in time-loss or problems like in real-life, iR wouldn't police it, would they?

Ciao,
Antonio
Aufgeben ist das Letzte, was man sich erlauben darf. <> Giving up is the last thing you may allow yourself.