Road America laptimes, setups, etc

Archived iRacing based League - currently inactive
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Road America laptimes, setups, etc

Post by Rik Walker »

With the DWC starting soon and running the FW31 and the qualification for the next Pro series being done off the FW31 series I guess that the number of setups posted on the iRacing forums will decline a bit. I'm not sure if I'll take a shot at Pro this year or not but I intend to continue posting setups for Legends members. I do ask though that you don't share them out with non-Legends drivers unless you've made enough changes to legitimately call it your own :)

And on to Road America. The updated tyre damping really helps the car here. I think that top speed is down a bit now (changes to drag parameters) but the car no long horribly pogos in some of the slow corners or is so liable to spin if you hit a kerb a bit wrong. That's made it easier to attack those corners - and a lot less frustrating to boot. My best lap time so far is a 1:35.6 which is 0.4s faster than with the last build but there's some more to come yet. I've attached a race setup which has enough fuel in it for 16 laps which is appropriate for the official series races which are 30 laps and where a pit stop will definitely be required. On a 16 lap run I started out with 1:38 laps and was into the high 1:36s by the end.

The TWFW race is only 22 laps and I think that a non-stopper will definitely be optimal especially as a pit stop here takes a good 40s which is somewhat more than at most tracks. 95 kg plus a safety margin will probably be enough for the whole race. nb: you'll need to adjust the ride heights for the extra fuel to make them legal - see the post I made a couple of weeks ago.

The race setup is also capable of 1:35.x qual laps if you take the fuel out although it would probably benefit from a reduced ride height.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Muckey
Rookie

Re: Road America laptimes, setups, etc

Post by Mark Muckey »

I continue to find a little more speed every time I hit the track. I finally cracked a 1:35.8xx last night but hit on a few corner adjustments in my driving style and I think with just another few laps I should be able to get a 35.6. I'll continue working on it till Sunday :mrgreen:
Leo
Super

Post by Leo »

Very driveable set-up, Rik, thanks a lot. I've improved to a high 37.
Mum's the word. I know nothing! :halm:
LIFE IS RACING, THE REST IS WAITING
Paul Langford
Super

Post by Paul Langford »

1m 36.8xx so far... optimal is 35.7xx....still messing with different set-ups though, I'm using a set I got from the IR Forum with a few tweaks, Baz tried it last night and gained 2 secs straight away, it understeers a little and has a good rear end (a bit like the wife :wink: )

I will try Riks set tonight

EDIT : Down to 36.0xx still using my Q set, but I like Rik's set and may use that to race with
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Paul Langford on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

Car #69 2009 TWFA CHAMPION
Georg
International

Post by Georg »

1:41 here ... where is Ray ?

Leo
Super

Post by Leo »

Don't worry Georg. My high 37 was a one off.
With 100 kg of fuel I'll be lapping in the 42's!
LIFE IS RACING, THE REST IS WAITING
Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

I'm in the 38s-39s with qual trim so far. I can't go any faster cause if I do I won't finish like during the pre-season race :roll:
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Georg I am fed up with hogging the honour of last car to finish so have to leave something for you to aim at my friend :halm: . Don't race much these days Georg as I am just too slow and get too tired with the races being so late for my local time (like 2:30 AM for start of Q). I join the occasional race though.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Dave Kadlčák
Super

Post by Dave Kadlčák »

Hmm... last time I checked you finished 7th Ray!

Don't remember the last time you were the last car to finish :P
  I.V.G.A. Member #2552 - ICR2 hotlaps
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Just luck David. A lot of folks just fell off and I just stayed on and kept it out of the armco so was still next to last car still on track I think. You are just being too kind to an old git and just hoping I will leave you something in my will like my unique collection of antique and rare incontinence pads :shock: :lol:
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD