i want to build a racing frame?

Hardware, Software, Internet, Email, Security, OS, Simulations, Etc.
Steve Shelley
Super

i want to build a racing frame?

Post by Steve Shelley »

has anyone done it? was it easy to do and was the cost high or cheap.

any tips on how to do it

cheers for the help
Rick Stratton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Rick Stratton »

Have you visited the RSC forum for this? They have a dedicated forum just for build-your-own cockpits/frames/etc, from mild to wild.

http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186
Last edited by Rick Stratton on Fri May 02, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Stratton
(aka Ricklandia)
Steve Shelley
Super

Post by Steve Shelley »

Rick Stratton wrote:Have you visited the RSC forum for this? They have a dedicated forum just for build-your-own cockpits/frames/etc, from mild to wild.
no i havent Rick ill have a look cheers :)
DaveH
Super

Post by DaveH »

Hi Steve...
I built a dedicated cockpit some years ago after getting very frustrated with office chairs and desks... there are some great ides on the RSC forum... so do take a look there. The basic premise I used was three sheets of 3/4" plywood... (2'x6')... a floor, two sides (shaped vaguely like a single seater) a rear section and a cross shelf to hold the top halves together and to act as a support for the wheel and monitor. I went the extra mile and built a sliding (adjustable) nose cone to hold the pedal assm. Chucked in an old Ford XR2 bucket seat with runners and I was in business :) The whole lot was no more than about £75... and a few days in the workshop with a rip saw, jigsaw, battens, clue and screws... I have four monitor speakers on stands around the cockpit and a sub-woofer attached to the rear support... the sound is awesome! \O/.

Extending the home-brew concept... about ten years ago I also built my own wheel and pedals out of aluminum etc., rear shifters and hand clutch... and thanks to a url link from Rik, I have recently installed a Leo Bodnor analogue to USB interface which gives a very high resolution from the wheel pots... d'oh I should write a book :)

I am too mean to buy anything if I can make it :)

Best of luck if you decide to home-brew a cockpit... you won't regret it as it so much more immersive... don't hesitate to ask for any help/advice.
DaveH
Steve Shelley wrote:
Rick Stratton wrote:Have you visited the RSC forum for this? They have a dedicated forum just for build-your-own cockpits/frames/etc, from mild to wild.
no i havent Rick ill have a look cheers :)