iRacing on Staem

iRacing general discussions
Baz West
Super

iRacing on Staem

Post by Baz West »

A recent post by DK for your information, looks like iR will get more popular :thumbsup:
As many of you are aware, following a long process we were greenlit on Steam some time ago. Because of the nature of our game as an on-line service, there was much more technical integration and back and forth with Steam than with the more common click and download games. This resulted also in quite a long time between our being greenlit and now. The good news is we are in our final stages and at this point are really just waiting for final approval before we go live on Steam.

The main reason I am writing this forum post is to convey that iRacing's being available on Steam is a good thing. Our whole model, not to mention our business, works much better with critical mass. The whole system was designed for that. The centrally-based service, head to head multi-player system, data centers around the world, the race results captured since day one, license ladder, the skill-based racing splits, the various racing divisions, the private league sections and more will all improve as our membership grows. It has also been a major goal to bring new people into sim racing and make it into a much bigger “sport”. The existing hard-core sim racing niche is not all that large, the number of people that own racing wheels but do not know about sim racing and iRacing is much bigger by a significant factor. Reaching some of those people will contribute immensely to the iRacing service and create a whole new wave of sim racers. This was always designed and intended to be a community for all, from experienced sim racers and real world racing drivers, to race gamers and beginners. The idea has been that people new to sim racing can see how it differs from most driving games, and that they become keen to progress and get better. This has proven to be true, as we have many members who came to iRacing from console racing games, and who have risen through the license ranks to become very accomplished sim racers.

I should also mention that if you are an iRacing member and joined directly through iRacing.com, this will have no impact on your membership at all, nothing will change. You should continue to come directly to iRacing to sign in like you always do. Also if you are an existing iRacing member, do not create a new iRacing account on Steam because that would be a whole new account--you would not be able to access the content that you bought directly on your existing iRacing account and your racing history would also not be tied to any new account you create. However, if you join directly through the iRacing website but you are also a Steam member, or at some point in the future you join Steam, you will be able to use the Steam community overlays to connect to their forums, videos, etc. while in iRacing. In other words, iRacing members who have signed up directly through iRacing can use Steam functionality if they are Steam members even if their iRacing account was not purchased through Steam. That is another positive.

Launching on Steam is going to open up a fresh set of eyeballs on us. We will get one opportunity with most people when they research us. I would like to ask that you welcome these new members and for those of you already on Steam, please encourage others to join iRacing! If you are so inclined, you can be powerful advocates for us by providing positive feedback and reviews on Steam about iRacing. I would even ask that you consider joining Steam--it is free--to help provide positive feedback for iRacing. By embracing this and helping to promote iRacing you will be helping us to grow--not only will the racing be more fun because of better splits, but it will allow us to continue to invest more in all the features we have planned. Every year iRacing's development spend has grown, and we want that to continue! iRacing on Steam is a great opportunity for the sim racing community to grow.

We sincerely thank you for being members and supporting us. I can promise you that we are going to continue to do everything we can to make iRacing better and better. An enthusiastic and growing membership is very important to that goal. As always, the best way to help us continues to be to encourage your friends, fellow racing and car enthusiasts, gamer buddies, etc. to come check us out at iRacing.com, to sign up and give virtual racing a try!

Best wishes to you all this holiday season and in the new year--

Dave Kaemmer
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Re: iRacing on Staem

Post by Ray Walton »

What is so special about Steam ? I have got it I think for the AC sim racing program but it put me off a bit to be honest as I am always wary of third party additions needed in order to load or run a program I want. So I simply never use Steam now or AC for that matter, partly because of Steam being involved. I am ultra careful about installing anything that I feel is obscure or should not really be required. Steam just seems to be unnecessary and just more bloat ware on my PC.

So am I obviously missing something here apart from of course that it may give iRacing a bit more publicity and coverage? Surely though any serious sim racers would already know or quickly find out about iRacing anyway. without any extra unneeded third party software system to discover it for him. And surely iRacing only wants serious sim racers not the games kids !!!
Last edited by Ray Walton on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

It's mostly about visibility. Steam has by far the lion's share of digital PC games sales (at least 75%) and 100 million active accounts. Today's racing game player can be tomorrows racing sim driver. Let's face it, even basic racing games these days have better physics than the sims that got us started. If there is a sudden influx then it's going to be a challenge for iRacing to handle, but that's what the licence system is designed for. So the rookie races may become even more entertaining to spectate :), but it can only benefit the higher licence series by providing a larger base of decent enough drivers.

As for the Steam software, I've been running it for ages now and not noticed any issues. The biggest problem is seeing games on sale, thinking "at that price it's worth a punt" and then never getting round to playing them!
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Like wise for me Rik, I only start steam up when I want to play a game anyway, also I have games bought for peanuts in sales I have never got around to playing too, massive savings though on some less than a year old.

One benefit I found is that your game is always patched automatically if you chose, I had major problems patching up IL2 1946 which I bought on disk, bought it on steam for 1.99 and it works perfectly now, could never get it to run smoothly before.
Regards

Mark
SteveC
Legends Admin Team

Post by SteveC »

ISI are just getting RF1 ready to go on Steam at present, and ultimately RF2 in the future I can only imagine. For us our biggest problem is lack of drivers in multiplayer so it seems an inspired decision in some ways, but no I wish myself they would not go down the Steam route. Obviously its gonna increase sales and players a lot which is the main thing we need, but also bring in a lot of kids to RF2 who should be playing Need for Speed instead. Will be interesting to how it pans out on iRacing.
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

But Steve, those kids playing NFS are the sim racers of tomorrow, some will only be playing NFS because they haven't had the opportunity to sample a more realistic racing game/sim, if a 1000 buy in and 10% turn out good it has to be a result surely?

Same happened in Flight combat sim IL2-BOS, big worry about the War thunder arcade crowd, but it was a natural progression for some of them who wanted more of a challenge, don't worry realistic RF2 will be too hard for some yet others will excel.
Regards

Mark
Rik Walker
Site Admin

Post by Rik Walker »

rF1 on Steam? Really? Why would they waste any effort on something so old? Surely it would make much more sense just to get rF2 on it.

I'm all for getting new people interested in sim racing. There just needs to be some way of stopping the "gamers" from ruining things for the "simmers". With iRacing, that's the licence & rating system, with rF2 it's leagues like Legends doing some sort of pre-admittance test. I know you've been using open servers recently to attract more drivers but once you get back to healthy numbers you can also go back to requiring drivers to run a couple of club sessions before being admitted to the championships. The sort of drivers you want will see that as a positive, not a barrier. All you need is a sufficient pool of drivers to choose from :)
Ray Walton
Legends Admin Team

Post by Ray Walton »

Okay seems like I may need to give Steam another chance then. Agree with Rik 100% and of course iRacing has the wonderful licence system so the idiots will stay out of the way at Rookie level, another huge benefit of the well organised iRacing system that I wish ISI could have implemented too. So for rF2 then Steam may just bring you more idiots but then again hopefully more serious and sensible sim racers too in time. Sure we had our rF1 trial system of two club events before we allowed drivers into out Championship races and this was excellent and a big help though a luxury we seem unable to afford these days sadly.

Not interested really in games these days but IL2 that Mark mentioned was a great sim in it's day, and still probably is as immersive today and will run brilliantly with today's Graphics cards and CPUs. Though I still have an Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo cpu safely and solidly running and optimised at 3.6 Ghz per core, so it is still mega fast even by today's standards which have more cores but slower per core clocking speeds generally. The E8400 in my socket 775 Mobo system runs beautifully and not found anything yet that really needs any more CPU grunt with my graphics card which is a fairly recent Asus R7 260X DC2 OC again safely and carefully over-clocked to optimum state using GPU Tweak utility. This set up with Win 8.1, and IOBit Game Booster for the sims I occasionally run, runs brilliantly and I thus see no point in wasting money upgrading it for now or the foreseeable future, though sure the goal posts do get moved I fully understand.
Best Regards

Ray Walton
Legends League Financial Director and
Caretaker MD