Photography - the Discussion!!!

All non-league discussions
JohnW
Legends Admin Team

Re: Photography - the Discussion!!!

Post by JohnW »

Exactly that Mark. Even I use it in jpg mode a lot, and only shift into one of the raw presets when I have something unusual in mind, or I think an HDR won't work so well. As you know I've used a lot of cameras, and they are rarely good in auto. Genuinely this is the first for me that most of the time I trust it yo get things right. Sony really did a nice job on the intelligent auto. You can shoot it full manual/Raw, and lightroom works great with it, or it works a treat in full auto jpg too.
Legends League Membership Director
MarkF
Super

Post by MarkF »

Thanks John, that was what I wanted to hear, sometimes it is just handy to have a point and shoot :-)
Regards

Mark
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

Well you asked for it John.. and it's going to be interesting to see how it stacks up but..

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pe ... unced.html

Looks to be essentially the smallest DSLR possible with MLC/Compact style controls rather than traditional SLR. With Pentaxes range of very compact prime lenses it will be possible to get this down to very small and light, and it'll be interesting to see if Pentax try to develop a compact zoom for it.

Definitely an interesting idea and it'll be interesting to see how it's received. Marketing will be good which will help as Ricoh have put a noticeable amount of adverts out recently compared to Pentax of old.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
JohnW
Legends Admin Team

Post by JohnW »

I'll tell you what - I really want some of what they are smoking in Pentax HQ :lol:

They have some great lenses, and from the tests they make some great cameras. But what are the colours? And those LEDs, what are they for?

I may have mentioned earlier in this thread, but I remember being in Japan when the Nikon 1 was released, and there was a HUGE video advert on the side of a BIC Camera store (this was like five stories high video advert) of some slicked hair singer dude, dancing around in a white suit with the camera, and a bunch of girls. And I realised I TOTALLY had no idea what the target market for that camera / advert was - but I really hoped someone at Nikon knew what they were doing (the jury is still severely out on that one!). I feel a bit like that with the Pentax models - we've built a stunning camera boss, look at the high ISO performance, and sharpness?! Good job guys....but it needs LEDs on the side...and YELLOW, let's make it yellow!

:cheers: <-- (Pentax HQ planning sessions) I'd (honestly!) love to work there :)
Legends League Membership Director
Kat
Super

Post by Kat »

JohnW wrote:I'll tell you what - I really want some of what they are smoking in Pentax HQ :lol:

They have some great lenses, and from the tests they make some great cameras. But what are the colours? And those LEDs, what are they for?
The lit up controls I like, that's a nice touch - but don't get the handgrip ones at all!!! I think the colours go down well in Japan so that's where that comes from.
The Racing Kat Blog
2010, 2011, 2012 Race Steward
2012 Chief Steward
Race Report Writer
Pablo
Novice

Post by Pablo »

pentaprism for a "cheap" DSLR, thats a huge difference.
The rest (Canon t5i, Nikon d3200, d5x00), use all pentamirror, being the image you look smaller and darker.
I wanted to buy one of those Pentax (k30-k50), they were weather sealed, pentaprism, 5fps, and the same sensor as d7000 (very good one), but here in Argentina is difficult to find them, and moreover, if I wanted to buy more lenses it would be a problem.

I ended up buying Canon t3i, it's pretty good, but well, that pentax was better bang for the buck.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... amera.html