Laptop with 2 video cards

Hardware, Software, Internet, Email, Security, OS, Simulations, Etc.
Corrado Toxiri
Super

Laptop with 2 video cards

Post by Corrado Toxiri »

Hi all,

my new gaming laptop has 2 video cards: the intel chipset integrated HD Graphics 4000 plus an additional nVidia GTX 660M. It runs Windows 8.

Now, I have instructed the PC to use the nVIDIA card for running rFactor (you can do it in the nVidia control panel), but how do I know if it's actually doing it?

I'm asking because I've done the same (force the usage of the nVidia card) also for the rF Setup program and for the DXDiag tool, but both would start showing only "Intel HD Graphics 4000" as available display. There's no sign of the nVidia GPU (should it be visible at all?)

By the way, the game runs in DX9 mode, 1920*1080*32, AA 4x and most graphic options at FULL. Framerate at the back of the field at Monza with the ZR cars is about 70-100fps (seems low but not too low?).

PS: I had to manually install the latest DX9 as Windows 8 comes with DX11 and apparently rFactor doesn't like them, now I have both DX9 and DX11 files on the PC, DXDIAG says I'm running DX11 though
Regards,
Corrado Toxiri
Corrado Toxiri
Super

Re: Laptop with 2 video cards

Post by Corrado Toxiri »

I'm not sure if I found the problem, but... I was not running rFactor as an administrator, now I'm doing it and it seems to be much better, I can see 200+ FPS

By the way, under Windows 8 64bit you have a lot of issues if the game doesn't run as admin.... For example you cannot select a track (it always picks the last one you used in admin mode), it's not saving replays or settings, etc...

You must run it as administrator (or in compatibility mode, but I prefer to run it as admin, as it seems not to work with the nVidia card in compatibility mode, either)
Regards,
Corrado Toxiri