I need some advice on my pedals...

Hardware, Software, Internet, Email, Security, OS, Simulations, Etc.
David Pym
Super

I need some advice on my pedals...

Post by David Pym »

People of Legends - I call upon thee to summon up your knowledge of technical thingys to let me know how easy it is to sort out my G25 pedals...

At the moment they are a little less exacting than they normally would be, especially the accelerator. Is there an easy way of...

1. Finding out if there is a hardware problem (contacts, whatever)
2. General maintenance of them (cleaning them up)

Bear in mind, I was the kid that used to take things apart and never get them back together again, can't imagine that would have changed! And I have little (read, NO) technical/manual/physical abilities...

Over to you.

BTW - anyone seen the new Porsche pedals??? I want a set now!
http://www.fanatec.de/
David Pym

Ex-driver. Now miserable sod.
Footloose and Fancy Free... Now available for Bar Mitzvahs and Weddings.

Image Image Image Image Image
Warren
Super

Post by Warren »

Have u tried plugging it into an other USB connector. Or whatever it is called in bloody English!
Warren Pieterse
If you wanna win and I am behind you.. you better forget all your other problems. Cause the only problem your facing.... IS ME!!
JohnW
Legends Admin Team

Post by JohnW »

David, if you have iracing the calibration screen can show whether the pots "flutter", are getting full range, etc. Rfactor calibration screen might do the same, but I think iracing's seems more sensitive, especially to whether you get full throttle or not.

Changing the pots involves a soldering iron, and a fair bit of disassembly of the pedals. The pots are not in a place which is easy to "pop out" from, and even getting the housing apart takes a fair few allen bolts (although that itself is quite straightforward).

My accelerator pot went just prior to a Legends race a while back. With limited time I opened the pedals, decided no time to change the pot, so I moved the springs around (to change the pedal stiffness). I moved the clutch spring to the accelerator, and the other two one place to the left. So I now drive using "brake" and "clutch", although they feel the same as before. I always meant to go back and properly fix it, but it works so well that I've never felt motivated. I'll change them all once the next one goes.

Another solution might be to short calibrate - calibrate the pedals to only 80% of their movement, so that you're surely getting full throttle. That lessens your range, and won't help if the flutter is low down the travel, but it might be a solution.

Just give me a shout if I can help at all.
David Pym
Super

Post by David Pym »

Cheers guys - I'll have a look at what has been proffered tonight... And come back to you later... It's not a huge problem, but I only noticed it at Jacarapagua this week as there are constant radius corners where I'm applying power to balance the car a little.

I might even just go and get those sexy pedals later.... Mmmm....

Davo
David Pym

Baz West
Super

Post by Baz West »

This might help David

POSWDM

Its a Microsoft app.
ImageBaz
Safety Fast
DaveH
Super

Re: I need some advice on my pedals...

Post by DaveH »

Hi David
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your G25... I understand that they are normally very reliable! I have just replaced the potentiometers (pots) in my homebrew all metal pedals with some high grade Vishay pots that have improved my pedals and steering control.

I did post this link to the Leo Bodnar web site a little while ago but you may have missed it...

http://www.leobodnar.com/

This is a download for a very good pedal/wheel potentiometer tester... much better than any others I have tried.

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836/DIView.zip

Rik originally pointed me in the direction of Leo Bodnar (thanks Rik 8) )

I also have his high resolution analogue to digital 12 bit interface.

I would be happy to look at your pedals if you want to run them down to my workshop (you are only 10 minutes away eh! :) ) I might even let you have a go in my racing cockpit... :lol:

I followed your link to those exotic German wheels and pedals; I must say they seem to be very reaonably priced (are we in an age of a new economic reality I ask? :) )

Dave
davidpym wrote:People of Legends - I call upon thee to summon up your knowledge of technical thingys to let me know how easy it is to sort out my G25 pedals...

At the moment they are a little less exacting than they normally would be, especially the accelerator. Is there an easy way of...

1. Finding out if there is a hardware problem (contacts, whatever)
2. General maintenance of them (cleaning them up)

Bear in mind, I was the kid that used to take things apart and never get them back together again, can't imagine that would have changed! And I have little (read, NO) technical/manual/physical abilities...

Over to you.

BTW - anyone seen the new Porsche pedals??? I want a set now!
http://www.fanatec.de/
Antonio Wojahn
Super

Post by Antonio Wojahn »

Hi David,

go ahead and try DxTweak2. It shows you pretty much exactly what's happening to the pedals, just connect your gear, fire it up and then take a look. Maybe that helps. If you go on about cleaning/ maintenance, it's probably best to have someone with you who can wield the powerful magic sword that is called- a screwdriver. Also, do you maybe still have your warranty on them?

Ciao,
Antonio
Aufgeben ist das Letzte, was man sich erlauben darf. <> Giving up is the last thing you may allow yourself.
David Pym
Super

Post by David Pym »

Thanks for all the help guys...

I looked at the DX Tweak and DI view apps, and they both told me the very same thing...

That there is some flutter going on with both the brake and the accelerator pedals, but none with the clutch. Needless to say that is the one that gets used the least, so it could be just plain wear and tear on the two main pedals after all.

I'm not totally useless with a screwdriver, or for that matter a very large hammer. Or a pen and a nice fresh insurance claim form!!!

Not that I said that - if anyone asks - you didn't heard that... But the pedals were broken by dropping them down the stairs, which then miraculously bounced into the path of a large lorry (or other commercial vehicle), even though the closest road here is a good 30 metres away...!!!
David Pym

DaveH
Super

Post by DaveH »

David...
I am not familar with the G25 Pedals, but if you can 'see' the pedal pots and can determine if they have a small access/gap in the body of the pot(s), you may be able to squirt some contact (switch) cleaner into them. It sounds like you may have some crud/dirt on the carbon track causing an erronious resistance reading to the USB interface. A squirt of switch cleaner can sometimes effect a cure... although it may only be tempory if the carbon track is worn or damaged!

The Vishay pots I mentioned are £9.95 each but are rated at 5 million operations! (just how many times do you need to brake eh! :) ) I have some switch cleaner here if you want to give it a shot! Then again... you could just buy some nice new pedals with the insurance money :)

DaveH